Menu

what options do I have?

My daughter (16) is struggling with Chemistry and working certain equations.  I believe it's because of her inability to solve word problems well.  Her algebra course that she took didn't cover word problems (and I didn't realize the importance of that until now)...but I can't go back in time.  

But I do need to get her some help someplace.  I really can't afford a tutor, but will figure that out if that is our only option.  But i first want to determine if that really is the only option.

So, I am here asking all of you if you know of a way for her to learn the basics of word problem solving another way.  

thanks.

• Like 1

From recommendations on this board, I bought: Zaccaro's Real World Algebra, Becoming a Problem Solving Genius and Johnson's How to Solve Word Problems. Yes, it was overkill to buy all three, but I did that because I wasn't sure which she needed.  These have helped dd a lot as far as word problems with Algebra in general.  For Algebra, I think you would do well with any- you don't need more than one. I'm not sure if it will translate over to Chem as we haven't gotten to Chemistry yet. But for Algebra, I would recommend. 

Is the Johnson one by Mildred Johnson?  How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra?

For chemistry, my library has a similarly titled book:  How to Solve Word Problems in Chemistry by David E. Goldberg.

Edited by klmama

those books look interesting.  Did one work better than another?  

What about some video options?  any out there??

Honestly, we have only used the Zaccarro Algebra book for the most part. At first I was going to have her work out of a couple, but there is a lot of redundancy between them from what I saw. The Johnson book is basically the same thing, only more concise. I would say the Zaccarro book is aimed at a little younger set, but it arrived first, so that's what I set her up with. She has a low tolerance for frustration so once I find something that works, I just stick with it. She's having to remediate some things in math- word problems being a big one, so we're going very slowly. She's my kid that requires constant review and mastery practice I figured out this Spring (thanks to people here!), so I'm keeping the books assuming we will eventually use all three of them. 

On video options I'm not sure. I've always used Khan Academy as a fall back on video explanations for math when I can't white board it myself, but I'm not sure if it will give your daughter the help she needs. I know they have chemistry, but I'm not sure how good the videos are. I know dd's friends taking chemistry in our homeschool group use an awful lot of Googling to solve some chemical equations, just because I hear her talk about it. And there's Crash Course too, but those move pretty quickly. Hopefully someone else has some tried and true suggestions. 

Is the Johnson one by Mildred Johnson?  How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra?

For chemistry, my library has a similarly titled book:  How to Solve Word Problems in Chemistry by David E. Goldberg.

Yes, that's the Algebra one. 

Hi. I did a quick google search and came up with Khan Academ? Offers word problems in Algebra 1. Maybe poke around on there and see if you can find some videos that help.

Here is link to one of the sections I found. I remember seeing others on Khan too. Maybe more in Alg 1 7 some in Alg 2

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra/one-variable-linear-equations/alg1-linear-eq-word-probs/v/basic-linear-equation-word-problem