Menu

Has anyone used this curriculum for state history...

Vintage81

I used the Texas version for 4th grade as a public school teacher. I found them to be well done. They were certainly more interesting than the textbook from 1993 that we had. The students seemed to enjoy them. Each newspaper focused on a major event with a few minor short articles about other things going on at the time. The front page story was generally a piece of historical fiction written from the point of view of a child at the time.

The inside story was then a more factual account of the event. Inside would also be a couple of short unrelated, but similar time frame articles. They would usually cover a biography, government topic, a landmark, and/or holiday. Some of the papers included advertisements for items common at that time.

The back was usually a crossword or other puzzle type activity followed by comprehension questions. They were a good mix of direct answers from the article and then some that required inferences and opinions.

I plan to use them when my kids are old enough for the topic.

• Like 1

I used the Texas version for 4th grade as a public school teacher. I found them to be well done. They were certainly more interesting than the textbook from 1993 that we had. The students seemed to enjoy them. Each newspaper focused on a major event with a few minor short articles about other things going on at the time. The front page story was generally a piece of historical fiction written from the point of view of a child at the time.

The inside story was then a more factual account of the event. Inside would also be a couple of short unrelated, but similar time frame articles. They would usually cover a biography, government topic, a landmark, and/or holiday. Some of the papers included advertisements for items common at that time.

The back was usually a crossword or other puzzle type activity followed by comprehension questions. They were a good mix of direct answers from the article and then some that required inferences and opinions.

I plan to use them when my kids are old enough for the topic.

This information is very helpful...thank you!