Menu

NM

Ann.without.an.e

Can you call the contact? I imagine financial aid and admissions offices are swamped right now. I didn't always have great luck with e mail.

FWIW, the daughter my second daughter is at was/is not one to send a lot of e mails. But they have been great to deal with once she accepted her offer of admission! So, it depends on the school.

I originally called Financial aid and they seemed a little confused as to why I would call, couldn't answer my ?, transferred me to admissions who couldn't answer it either, then they told me they really prefer emails and not phone calls and gave me the contacts email address.  

I originally called Financial aid and they seemed a little confused as to why I would call, couldn't answer my ?, transferred me to admissions who couldn't answer it either, then they told me they really prefer emails and not phone calls and gave me the contacts email address.  

I'd call back at this point. Tell them you have not received a reply to the e mail. Sometimes you do end up with a flaky representative on the phone.

• Like 1

Originally, way back in the beginning of her college visits, Wake Forest was her "dream" school.  She loved it so much.  The size, the distance from home, the campus, the strength in her major(s), etc.  She applied and then mentally struck it off her list because of finances.  She thought of reasons not to go there to make herself feel better and came up with - the general population is too wealthy and too white.  She loves diversity.  Now, Wake has come back the absolute cheapest (because of merit aid) and she doesn't even have to work or take out a loan.  She had to work to convince herself not to love it and she did such a great job with that that now it is obtainable and she is still stuck on those reasons. :banghead: :lol:  :banghead:  :lol:

Edited by Attolia

Distance is a good reason to drop a school. A huge reason. Going off to college feels like running off the end of the world for some students. If their childhood was a happy one and their home is meeting their adult needs or if they are late bloomers, then university may not ever become home - they may just perch there, needing to retreat home periodically. If they try to go to school far go away, they may slowly deteriorate. That's what happened to me anyway. I think it would've happened to youngest if he hadn't put himself in a school close to home, having watch his older brothers struggle with some distance. It happened to another relative. It isn't the traditional way of thinking about going off to college but it makes a lot of sense. Better to start at a nearer school than try an ideal but far one and slowly come apart and then have to spend a few years putting yourself together again. Lots of students do adjust but some just don't.

I agree about not necessarily being able to vocalize reasons well, also. If a child of mine gave too far as a reason, I would extrapolate that into possible homesickness, insecurity about academic or social skills and wanting home support (or school support not offered at this school), differences in culture or climate that he didn't want to have to adjust to or thought would interfere with making friends, or a program of study that was looking like it was too far from what he wanted now. In other words, maybe too far from home but also possibly too far from what I need or want, as well.

I was surprised by how sad it was to say no to a college. Really surprised.

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 2