Menu

Can someone give me the logistics of Lial's BCM, and Foerster's Algebra I?

I'm kind of a type-AAA personality and a planner. DS will finish Saxon 76 in December and I'd like to start him on Lial's BCM, then Foerster's Algebra I after that.

I'm wondering how many lessons in each of these curriculum, and how the layout works. 10 lessons then a test? Can you do one lesson per day, or do they need to be spread out?

Just looking for some of the nuts and bolts of these books!

Thanks!

Suzanne

BCM starts out with LOTS of easy review and then progresses. I would not suggest skipping all of the first few chapters--more like work the CHAPTER REVIEWS (not the tests) and then go back and pick up any weak concepts--the word problems are pretty good too. Once into the chapter on Fractions make sure to do some of each lesson. Again, depending on how strong your student is will determine the amount of problems assigned. I had a weak math student who came from 7/6. I had her work each lesson (odds only) over a 2-day period. Read part of the lesson then work the related problems and the next day read the rest of the lesson and complete the problems.

OCCASIONALLY I'd have her work only 10-20 problems from the lesson.

Review at this stage is a GOOD thing--it cements the concepts and reduces the amount of errors the students will make once they are in Algebra 1.

Some of the BCM lessons have over 100 problems--working the odds makes it 50 to assign over 2 days. Most of the time that is 30-45 minutes of work and plenty for this age student.

Some of the last problems in each lesson will be CHALLENGING. It is OK to skip some of these or work them out WITH your student.

Jann--who has taken several students (including my own dds) through the Lial series.