Menu

Fiber to the Home (FTTH) Internet service - Experiences?

Lanny

They will begin installing this service to homes in our huge rural subdivision in late  April 2017.  Speeds up to 100 Mbps for those who have more $ than we do. We currently only have 2 Mbps, because the phone company discovered that each of the 2 TVs requires about 8 Mbps and they had to downgrade our ADSL Internet service, from 5 Mbps to 2 Mbps.  10 or 20 will be a huge leap for us.  

Until today, I'd assumed, incorrectly, this would be ADSL, like we have now, but now I have a sales flyer and I know that it is more advanced than ADSL.

If anyone has experience with FTTH Internet, I am curious about the Reliability, compared to ADSL or Cable Modem.   Any bad issues?

TIA

I'm pretty sure this is what we had in Brazil, in our last house there, and if so, we liked it. No outage issues, good reliability, and faster than we'd had prior to that.

Thank you for that information!    ADSL comes in on old-fashioned Copper wire cable ("twisted pair").  I think the Fiber Optic cable they bring into a house has 2 tiny wires or something, but I'm not sure about that. Your experience in Brazil sounds good. This is with Movistar in Colombia. 

• Like 1

Thank you for that information!    ADSL comes in on old-fashioned Copper wire cable ("twisted pair").  I think the Fiber Optic cable they bring into a house has 2 tiny wires or something, but I'm not sure about that. Your experience in Brazil sounds good. This is with Movistar in Colombia. 

Ours was ViaFibra, so I'm just purely guessing on the type based on the name. I know it was better than what we had in the apartment and the middle house, that took us 6 months to get. 

I hope it works well for y'all! Know just what you mean, too, about the speed...ours was similarly low. So low that when DH did a speed test at someone's house in the US, he thought they must have it set to measure differently/some other unit, it was that astronomically different. LOL!

• Like 1

@TheReader   One of our neighbors is an Electronic Engineer for them.  He told me they tested it in the one Colombian city where it is currently operational (for about one year I think) and they have seen speeds up to 300 Mbps.  I can only imagine... 300...  Yes, ViaFibra sounds like Fiber Optic.  That technology requires brand-new-infrastructure, which I think they began installing here in late November 2016.   I just googled ViaFibra and it says "Internet via Fibra Optica" or in English, that would be "Internet by Fiber Optic".  I test our Line Speed with SpeakEasy.Net/Speedtest and am looking forward to seeing something above 2 Mbpa.  I see about 3.6 on my old phone, which does not have 4G LTE, with HSPA+ (3.75 G)  from the cell phone tower near our house, but Data on a Cell Phone is expensive.  If all goes well, I will report back, probably in May.  We have some questions for them. For example, their package includes 2 TV sets. How much more for a 3rd TV?  I will create a list of several questions and submit it to them and if we can only get 2 of the TVs hooked up, my wife needs to figure out which ones... 

OT: That neighbor, and a woman I was sitting next to in our annual HOA Business Meeting today, both have Directv Colombia and also the phone company for phone and Internet. With the new service that will soon be available here, for a little more than they are paying now (total to both companies), they can get 100 Mbps Internet, 2 TVs and a landline phone.  

• Like 1