Menu

For those you used Abeka Phonics/Reading...

mamaofgirls

For those who have used Abeka phonics/reading in first grade did you use ALL the readers? We used their K5 book and readers (almost all of them) but 1st grade seems like A LOT and I am wondering if I really need to purchase all of them... I would like to someday get past their readers and let dd choose other books but maybe I am ahead of myself?

So.... Should I just get the workbooks and a few of the readers or would you do the workbooks and all ten? Also.... did you use the teachers manual? We did not use it for k5 and dd is doing well, IMO, but do you think it is needed in 1st grade?

Thanks!

Edited by mamaofgirls

Did I answer everything on the other thread? Haha? 

Why did you choose Letters and Sounds and Spelling (and not Language 1)? I was thinking of just using just Language and L&S. Im sure it wont matter in the long run but just wondering if maybe I am missing something!

We used just Letters and Sounds and some of the readers. We also used the special sounds cards and Handbook for Reading. But no Spelling or Language.

Thank you!! I was thinking about doing just the one book  the other day and then spending other days reading more, working with the special sounds cards ect... I was wondering how I would get dd to actually read in a book after doing 2-4 pages of busy work first ;-)

I didn't use all three books (L&S, Spelling, and Language) because it seemed like Abeka overkill. We also use WWE, and many of the skills in the Abeka Language book were already being covered in WWE or the Abeka phonics and spelling books. So, for us, the Abeka Language book would have been busy work.

I didn't use all three books (L&S, Spelling, and Language) because it seemed like Abeka overkill. We also use WWE, and many of the skills in the Abeka Language book were already being covered in WWE or the Abeka phonics and spelling books. So, for us, the Abeka Language book would have been busy work.

What is WWE? I tried to google it but cant seem to figure it out :)