Menu

MUS Users

I have a curious question for users of MUS. If a student is taking MUS Geometry (and doing fairly well) but had never had algebra, can you think of a reason that student would test into the Zeta book and not into at least Pre-Algebra? 

I am not familiar with this curriculum and haven't seen the placement test results. His mom is texting me about possibly starting to work with him. Is there not any algebra used in the Geometry course? 

I will do my own assessment, but I'd really like to hear what MUS users think could be the issue since you all would know the scope and sequence well. 

My youngest is taking MUS Algebra I and Geometry concurrently and has had no problems not having completed Algebra I. So, no, there is not a lot of algebra in the geometry text. Radicals are introduced in Lesson 17, but that's more of an overlap with the Algebra II text. In the last student page of each geometry lesson there is a "sharpen your algebra skills" section, but they also briefly explain the topic and the questions are pretty easy, so my DD is usually able to figure those sections out.  My guess is that there is something in the Zeta text that he was rusty on and that's why he was placed there. You can find the Table of Contents here: http://store.mathusee.com/catalog/math-u-see/general-math/zeta I've read accounts from many families who had gaps in the elementary years to fill, so their children placed low, but once they filled that gap they were fine. We've never done a placement test, so I don't know if there's a way to see what he got wrong, but I'd try to figure out what the gap is and use Khan or something rather than buy the whole Zeta curriculum or even Pre-Algebra. 

I agree with Kellie, the reason probably lies in a struggle with decimals. They will place into the level where they can't do the problems. Most likely they have some knowledge or understanding gaps in Zeta. Decimals are the main thing covered there, but not the only thing.

Geometry is so different from previous math levels. Success or failure there is usually more about logic and reasoning skills than previous math knowledge.