Menu

Books on CD recommendations for ds10??

are Uncle Remus Tales, The Wind the Willows, Battle for the Castle, Castle Corona, Adventures in Odyssey radio series, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and The Indian in the Cubboard (sp?). The Runaway Mouse and Ms. Piggle Wiggle are sort of for the younger crowd but my ds9 enjoyed them.

We listen to a lot of books on tape. Our library has a good collection so we just go and my ds9 picks out what looks good to him. If you are a Christian, the Adventures in Odyssey series is awesome!

Adrianne

We enjoyed these last summer. One character uses a bit of bad language, the D word to be exact. The book didn't need it to be great, but it is there nonetheless. This should be coming out in the movies this spring. Lynn Redgrave reads one of them and she is wonderful.

I really wish she had not used this language. I came upon my 10yodd, who LOVED Inkheart crying because she was feeling guilty about reading a book with bad words in it. She felt convicted to not finish Inkspell. I wanted to tell her to go ahead and finish the book but I also didn't want to interfere with the Holy Spirit in her heart. I was just bummed that she had to make that choice. The language really does nothing to further the characters and could have easily been changed. I was also proud of her because she really wanted to finish the book. So, I read it and told her what happened. :-)

We enjoyed these last summer. One character uses a bit of bad language, the D word to be exact. The book didn't need it to be great, but it is there nonetheless. This should be coming out in the movies this spring. Lynn Redgrave reads one of them and she is wonderful.

I will second these! Brendan Fraser reads the second one (he is the actor that Cornelia Funke actually pictured in the role of Mo - and he'll be playing him in the movie)

Another one that I would suggest is "Sea of Trolls" by Nancy Farmer - great story to read or listen to (we did both!).

we loved "The tale of Desparaux" audio, the narrator was killing with all the accents...my kids were spellbound, from ages 12 down to 5.

we also liked "Boston Jane", the narrator was really good.

we're kind of low-brow here and love the "Hank the cowdog" stuff, the author is hilarious. Hank talks real mean to his sidekick, we don't usually listen or watch stuff with alot of that, but Hank is kind of an exception, the kids know he is not being nice...it's a hoot.

Pollyanna was very good, even my husband got into this one,

Secret Garden was good too.

The Cay

The Bagthorpes: Ordinary Jack

Gideon the Cutpurse

The Indian in the Cupboard

The Thieves of Ostia

The Thief Lord

Because of Winn Dixie

A Single Shard

Ghost Canoe

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Island of the Blue Dolphins

My Side of the Mountain

A Wrinkle in Time

Hatchet

From this list...we have listened to Because of Winn Dixie (great, great reader - fabulous Southern accent!) and the entire Series of Unfortunate Events - Tim Curry reads them and he is wonderful - the author reads the third one, I believe...

Our son (10) really surprised us by loving Sherlock Holmes (the Naxos freebie which you can get on cd). He has now started on reading his sister's collection. He also loved 'Swiss Family Robinson' which was Libravox. The Harry Potter cds are terrific too (our favourites are the Stephen Fry recordings) but not for everyone I guess.