Menu

Questions about RightStart math

mom of 2 boys

Hello, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my son for math. He is in K right now and finishing up Singapore Essentials B. I have already purchased Primary 1A and was planning to just start that once we finished Essentials, but he has been complaining and dragging his feet through math nearly every single day, so I am having second thoughts about it. I am planning to at least switch him to a different program for first grade next year, but I'm also not sure what I would like to do once we finish up Essential B. 

I had it in my mind that I would try MUS with him, but the more I read about it the more I am convinced that he will be bored out of his mind once the novelty of the manipulatives wears off. That being said, I'm starting to lean towards RightStart. There seems to be a lot of variation, even within the individual lessons, which I think will keep his attention. The problem seems to be that he is bored of doing the same thing for more than a few minutes (I think?) I think that he has the potential to be very good at math, once I find the right approach. He declared a year or two ago that he IS an engineer (not that he will become one lol, he already is one) and I honestly fully believe that this is exactly what he will end up doing with his life (he will be the 4th generation to follow this path.) So getting him on the right path for math is important. 

That being said, I have a few questions about RightStart. Being that he is finishing up Singapore Essentials, would I start him in RightStart B? Also, what do I do when we finish Singapore Essential B? I think we have maybe 2 or 3 weeks left to go before we finish it and then I'm not sure where to go from there. Would it make sense to order RightStart and jump in now? (Assuming I choose it.) I'm hesitant to start Singapore Primary 1A because I think it will just be more of the same. Also, at least if we don't write in the book, maybe I can sell it or give it away. 

Also, I keep reading that this program is "teacher intensive" and I'm just not really sure what that means. Since my son is only in K, everything has been teacher intensive so far. 

Lastly, I am not a math person. I need a math program that will lead us to a place where I can send my son off on his own when I am no longer capable of teaching him. I have Teaching Textbooks in mind for once we get to that point. Could we easily transition from RightStart to a program like Teaching Textbooks once I am no longer really able to teach this? (My husband is mathy, but not necessarily a teacher, so I would at least have someone who understands math on hand.) 

Anyway, if you have any insight or advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!! 

Also, I keep reading that this program is "teacher intensive" and I'm just not really sure what that means. Since my son is only in K, everything has been teacher intensive so far. 

I will speak to this, since if you do a search I'm sure several of my threads griping about RS will pop up. :) Some people say ALL elementary programs are teacher intensive, which I'm sure they are compared to middle school, but I believe RS has got to be one of the most teacher intensive programs out there. There are games (which usually involve special cards or manipulatives)  and other (sometimes multiple) manipulatives for every lesson. In A, which you won't have to worry about, there are also songs and a CD if you chose to use it. Every. Single. Day.  Some days there are worksheets too. It is a lot to keep up with until you get into the swing of it. 

Now, all of this works beautifully for a lot of kids. All of the stuff serves a purpose. I am still using it. But it's a LOT of work. Of all of our subjects it is by far the most intensive one, and I include teaching a 4 and 5 year old piano in all of that. Math is more work for me. I do get annoyed when people play that part down with RS. It's scripted, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily open and go. It's particularly a lot at the onset to organize (and find room) for everything. I think that part is one of the most important -organizing. But it's hard to organize it until you've used it and figured out what you need.

So, compared to the other programs I've looked at it's a lot more work. They have a script and maybe a single manipulative for the lesson. They depend more on worksheets. It's just easier. And yes, easier is not always better, but people should go in with all of the facts I think. Since you are looking at B or C, my examples are worst case, but I wanted to give you some dissent to the Right Start choir making it sound like a walk in the park. ;) 

Personally, if you have time and the money, I would order the RS games and play them with him with what you're doing now and see how he likes it before switching. If y'all like the games, great. It will give you a better idea of how he likes the program, or you can keep doing what you have and simply add in the games. If he hates the games, you just saved yourself a lot of money, because if one of you is annoyed with the games, you will probably be annoyed with the program. I have one who loves RS and one who doesn't because it skips around too much. It's hard to tell with any child without trying I think, but the RS games are affordable, easy way to familiarize yourself with some of their program. 

I really liked RightStart A and B, but I'm not altogether sure it will fit what you want. Some opinions and considerations:

- You would likely start with B. There is a placement test on the website here: http://rightstartmath.com/placement-test/

- RS depends heavily on the use of card games for math facts. This is great for a lot of kids. However, some of the games can be lengthy, so if they don't hold his attention for more than a few minutes, you might be sunk. The games were one of the sticking points for my daughter because she didn't like many of them. Eventually, when she figured out they were for fact practice, she made it quite clear she'd rather do flash cards or such and get it over with quickly.

- You're right, all math is teacher intensive at this level. RS is more so largely because it uses few worksheets (so more verbal 1-on-1 with you) and the time the games take. This is different from teaching a lesson then monitoring while workbook work is done.

- While there is variation, RS moves a little slowly for some math-intuitive kids. I found they would introduce the same concept 2-4 times in different lessons, using different manipulatives. I'm strong in math and was perfectly comfortable condensing lessons, but if you're not, and your son gets bored easily... That said, for many kids, approaching the concepts multiple ways spread across different lessons is ideal.

- Many people have reported moving from RS to middle grade math programs without problem. We moved away from RS partway through level C, so I can't comment on that part.

- I wouldn't worry too much about what to do after elementary math yet. But do keep in mind that TT is considered "behind" most programs and not typically recommended for those who need a very strong math background. Cross that bridge when you get there, because by then he'll be more opinionated about his math programs, anyway! There are self-teaching and online options that may be better fits.

I do find Rightstart open-and-go (with all manipulatives in one box, just rifle through and grab the next thing...), and I'm also comfortable condensing.

Righstart is scripted. You don't need to be "mathy" as pretty much everything is laid out.  Which means...by the time you finish rightstart you'll be right up there with him for math, and well able to take on teaching the next level too, right?  You can learn it with him!  (Or, if you're motivated, work a year or so ahead...)  If you really don't want to do that, there are LOTS of options other than just TT at that point.  Online courses, for instance.

I have only done right start math and dabbled in MUS. So I can't really compare relative to other programs. But my son and I really like RS. I have all the manipulatives in a box on a nearby shelf and just grab whatever I need. Each lesson tells you in advance so it's easy to get out at the start of the lesson. Everything is scripted so it's easy on the parent. Yes, you have to sit there with them during the lesson, but I have found times I can get and and do something or check an email. This is usually when he's doing a worksheet or an activity that takes a tad longer. In the end, I think this is a great fit for my son. It's fun and interactive. He's learning solid skills and enjoying himself along the way.

If you're concerned about the investment, buying the game book might be a good idea, but then you'll also need some of their manipulatives to go with it. I'm not sure if they specify which manipulative you will need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk