Menu

Meltdowns

Temple Grandin does not recommend meds for kids unless absolutely necessary. She, herself, did not go on meds for her anxiety till she was 20.

Stephensgirls, apologies for bumping this! I just wanted to correct a previous statement I made (quoted here). Temple Grandin was in her 30s not 20 when she went on antidepressants.

Edited by Guest

Keep in mind that mindfulness can be immensely helpful for kids with special needs. It's made a huge difference for my (ADHD) daughter, helping her recognize when her frustration is starting to escalate so that she can use tools to calm herself, and helping her recognize when she's losing focus. I wouldn't discount it without trying it.

• Like 2

At 11, my first thought is that puberty hormones are contributing to the anxiety. My oldest developed full-blown social phobia (to the point where she refused to give her orders to waiters/foodservice cashiers) right around menarche. Fortunately it only lasted a few months (by the time we got off the waiting list for psychotherapy through Kaiser HMO she was already starting to get better on her own).

I am SOOOO not looking forward to my SN child going through puberty :scared:

• Like 1

At 11, my first thought is that puberty hormones are contributing to the anxiety. My oldest developed full-blown social phobia (to the point where she refused to give her orders to waiters/foodservice cashiers) right around menarche. Fortunately it only lasted a few months (by the time we got off the waiting list for psychotherapy through Kaiser HMO she was already starting to get better on her own).

I am SOOOO not looking forward to my SN child going through puberty :scared:

Yes! I totally agree with you. I know hormones are going to be an issue with her being 11. I'm scared, too! Heck--hormones are wrecking ME at 46. Gotta love peri menopause. 

Today has been kinda rough because she didn't get much sleep last night due to constant storms from 3am till...all day. She got in bed with me several times throughout the wee hours of the morning. Tomorrow will be better. No more storms tonight.

Tween years come with their own challenges. I had one enter his teen years and one enter his tween years a few months apart. Both started with some very interesting changes and some new challenges. Having a blast!

Edited by Guest

By the way, I ended up getting *Mindful Games* by Susan Kaiser Greenland. So far it seems more in line with what I was looking for. If you are still considering mindfulness, take a look at preview pages and see how you feel.