Menu

What to use for spelling and writing with CLE LA?

avazquez24

We've been using CLE LA (along with CLE Math and Reading) for a couple years now.  I'm starting to think I may need to supplement and use a different spelling though.  Both dd and ds just finished up the 400 level of LA. DS (15 mo younger) is a bit of a better speller than DD, so I am thinking mainly about her as I try to figure out if I should use a different spelling program.  We've used AAS in the past, so I don't want to use that. I was thinking a rule-based spelling would be best. DD really does well on things she can do somewhat independently, so nothing too teacher intensive.  So, give me suggestions on what you would use for spelling with CLE :) 

Also, always have struggled finding a writing I really like :/  The kiddos are getting older (5th and 6th grade next school year), so I feel like I really need to step up our game perhaps in the writing department.  Suggestions please on what writing you'd use to supplement CLE LA :) We did some of IEW this year, but we had to stop as the kids (and I) were really not enjoying it.  It seemed to be taking the fun out of any writing with all those keyword outlines!

TIA!

Doesn't CLE LA include spelling and writing? If it does, but you still feel that you need to supplement those, perhaps it would be better to drop CLE for language arts and use something else, maybe Rod and Staff's English, which would include writing, and Spelling by Sound and Structure. Spelling by Sound and Structure is very independent. The English is, as well; the teacher manual has scripted oral class time, but it doesn't have information not included in the student text. It just adds some warm fuzzy face time. :-)

We don't use most of CLE's spelling and we supplement the writing.

I don't necessarily think the spelling is bad. My two older kids are just natural spellers and it's busywork for them so we do spelling by dictation to check the spelling box instead. I use Spelling Wisdom for them.

I do use the spelling for my 1st grader.

For writing, we do the CLE assignments + another program. We've done science and history narrations, WWE and Writing and Rhetoric depending on the child and the time.