Menu

Earth and Space Science--ES vs. RSO?

ExcitedMama

Looking at earth and space science for 2nd grade and I have narrowed or down to ES or RSO. We did ES Intro to Sci and I wasn't very impressed with it so we switched to RSO for Life Sci and I'm unimpressed with it too. I've looked at the samples for both and cannot decide between them. Any advice?

I am going to be ordering through our virtual charter so it must be a secular approved publisher which is how I came to be undecided between them. I know there will be many who don't think young children need a science curriculum but I like to have one to use and a starting point and to keep me on a schedule and again it's free through the charter.

I can't speak to ES but I was very underwhelmed by RSO. I felt it was a ton of writing for not much content. My kid loves space with a fiery passion and slogged through weeks of weather to get to a few weeks of space with about as much info as one of the Usborne books. I'm putting the effort into BFSU (which is secular) and interest-based science now. It's a lot of work but way more satisfying.

• Like 1

I'm putting together Earth & Space science this year using Levels 2 & 3 from Nancy Larson Science as a spine (my DD #1 is in grade 3). It's secular, solid and very open and go with review included. I supplement with DVD's, topical living books and hands on activities I find in books and on Pinterest.

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher

I don't understand Nancy Larson, it seems crazy expensive for what it is. Is it really worth the price?

Thanks BWDiaz! You helped push me toward ES. After comparing the ToC for both it does seem like a lot more time on rocks with RSO! Neither of us are budding geologists so that could be torturous for us too!

It has been great for us but I have been fortunate to be able to find the guides and some supplementary materials (like picture cards, teacher CD, etc) at a used curriculum sale. I paid like $20.00 for TM 2 and $25.00 for TM 3. Then, I bought the student sheets on their own at the Nancy Larson website. When I bought them I think they were $40.00. Any supplies I might need I buy separately and I supplement with topical books and DVD's from the library (also you tube videos).

If I recall correctly, I think I purchased Nancy Larson Year 1 on Ebay and I did get the total kit except for the student sheets (I bought those on the website) for something like $70.00 shipped. It was a big heavy box full of everything for year one except the live caterpillers and live ladybugs and the student sheets.

Check Ebay and homeschoolclassifieds.com for used Nancy Larson materials. If you have a convention coming up, or any other used type of curriculum sale, you may find Nancy Larson materials there, as well.

So yes, at the cheaper prices it has definitely been worth it as a solid "spine." It's thorough and "serious" without being boring or over little kids' heads. It's very easy to use, my kids love it, science gets done, and the information is retained and these are all good things!