Menu

Changes to CLE Math...

I saw the new CLE catalog today and I thought I would mention that if you don't like a workbook format CLE is now offering two different options for 4th and 5th grade.   (and yes I am slow since obviously I should have noticed this with last year's catalog but in case there are others as slow as me...LOL)...

The first format is still their workbook style where the program is in 10 consumable Light Units with a lot of explanation in the workbook itself.  Students write directly into the workbook and there is usually room for doing computations.  You can get the TM (there are two, one for the first half of the year and one for the second half), which includes teaching guides plus additional suggestions/problems for the teacher to work on with the student, alternate tests, help for struggling or accelerated students plus the actual Light Unit student pages with fully worked solutions for easy review/grading (immensely helpful for quick grading and for referencing later if you need to return to an older light unit) or you can get just the answer key with just the solutions.  Light Units plus both TMs is now $71 for the year.  Answer keys are $7 each and there are two per year.

The second option is a full color textbook, student pack, full solution answer key and 1 teacher's guide including a CD of reproducibles.  Total cost: $118 if you buy all.  It looks like if you get the TM you can skip the answer key.  Students would no longer have a workbook.  They would copy problems from the textbook and work them out on separate paper.  

Grade 6 will be offered in both formats starting next year.   There are no specifics for when/if other levels will start offering both versions.

All previous support material (such as the math charts and their specialized flash card system) are still available.

CLE confirmed they are still going to publish Algebra II, Geometry, and Trigonometry in the CLE sunrise model, just as they did with Algebra I, but no date was mentioned for when they will be available.  Current version of Algebra II and beyond are NOT CLE but a rehashed program from another publisher.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

It's been on the website for a while and you can see (not enough) samples there.

TBH I can't imagine there's going to be a huge market for this. The lightunits _make_ CLE maths imo. If someone wanted a text/write your own format, I'd suggest Saxon.

But maybe my imagination needs some work :lol:

It's been on the website for a while and you can see (not enough) samples there.

TBH I can't imagine there's going to be a huge market for this. The lightunits _make_ CLE maths imo. If someone wanted a text/write your own format, I'd suggest Saxon.

But maybe my imagination needs some work :lol:

I had seen something mentioned on the website but I guess it hadn't sunk in until I saw the catalog.

I love the light units format.  I absolutely consider that a strength for my family and their needs and is one of the appeals of CLE in general (although there are many things I love about CLE).  

However, I realize that:

1. Some families would be better off financially just buying the second version and reusing everything with multiple kids instead of having to re-buy light units for each child.  

2.  Some kids do better with a lot of color and the textbook version has a lot of color.  

3.  Some parents have an issue with consumables (for various reasons).  

I'm with you, I don't think there will be as big a market for this version at all.  Honestly, I kind of hope there isn't a huge market because they might end up doing away with the light units.  I really, really don't want that to happen, not just for my kids (who will be moving out of the material eventually) but for future homeschool kids.  I think it is great that they are offering both.  Just please don't do away with the light units.  KWIM?  :)

Yeah, they came out with 4th grade last year, and I think they plan on coming out with one text per year.

I'm annoyed by it, to be honest. It's been what? 4/5 years since they stated on Algebra? And unless I've missed it, they still don't have the textbook out for Algebra. At this rate it'll be 20 years before they complete their high sequence. I guess it's not a priority, but I was so hopeful back when they started it. :(

My guess is their market for the textbooks is schools, not homeschoolers.

Yeah, they came out with 4th grade last year, and I think they plan on coming out with one text per year.

I'm annoyed by it, to be honest. It's been what? 4/5 years since they stated on Algebra? And unless I've missed it, they still don't have the textbook out for Algebra. At this rate it'll be 20 years before they complete their high sequence. I guess it's not a priority, but I was so hopeful back when they started it. :(

My guess is their market for the textbooks is schools, not homeschoolers.

Agreed, I think the text book format was to appeal to classroom settings/schools.

I had hoped also that the rest of the High School level material would get done in a more timely fashion.  I don't mind the light unit format for High School so the Algebra I light units work fine for me and I am glad they at least completed to that level.  I just want everything else finished, whatever format they go with.

• Like 1

Agreed, I think the text book format was to appeal to classroom settings/schools.

I had hoped also that the rest of the High School level material would get done in a more timely fashion. I don't mind the light unit format for High School so the Algebra I light units work fine for me and I am glad they at least completed to that level. I just want everything else finished, whatever format they go with.

I agree. I'd be perfectly happy with Algebra LUs, but they keep saying that the next step is Algebra finalized in textbook format. (the LUs were supposed to be temporary) Then they'd move on to Geometry. I wish they would get a move on, but I'm not holding my breath... ;)

• Like 1