Menu

SOTW Volume 2 for a 1st grader

catie_mac

Hello all!  This coming school year (which will start in the summer for us, since we school year-round), I will have a 4th, 3rd, and 1st grader.  With the 2 older ones, I have been doing SOTW Volume 1, which I'd like to continue doing and have the 1st grader start to join in.  I think it will go pretty well.  Half way through the year or so, we'll move into Volume 2, which technically is for 2nd grade and up.  Should this be a problem?  I haven't seen any of the activity pages yet for the 2nd volume.  Can anyone give me any insights into what types of pages there are?  Will I have to be creative in making it more accessible for him or will there not be a need?  Thanks in advance!  

I think SOTW volume 2 would be perfect as a read aloud for a 1st grader. However, I think it is a little simplistic for your 4th grader (assuming he/she reads at or above grade level. My son read all 4 SOTW books in one month for fun in 4th grade.  He loves history.)  The 4th book in SOTW is written closer to a 4th grade level, but the 2nd book is written for 2nd graders. I would use it as a spine and supplement more challenging books from the library or add the Oxford University Press books.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195153804/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ED41RN1OKUB5&coliid=I1RJQYIZ0OGY2T

https://www.amazon.com/European-World-400-1450-Medieval-Modern/dp/0195178440/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0195178440&pd_rd_r=GTYXH3ZYV4SHAG36JZCR&pd_rd_w=6Mjgn&pd_rd_wg=cNZTs&psc=1&refRID=GTYXH3ZYV4SHAG36JZCR

Edited by SRoss5