Menu

PSAT - what year(s) should a high school student take this exam?

Most people seem to think it's good for practice to take it in 10th grade, but I haven't had either of my sons do so--the oldest was an NM Scholar, and, based on his score, I think my youngest will qualify, too. So, it certainly didn't hurt them to only take it once. I do have them take practice exams at home.

And, totally anecdotally, I know about half-a-dozen students who have taken the test in 10th grade, scored very well, only to do worse when they took it "for real." In several cases, this meant the difference between being a commended scholar and a semi-finalist.

Bottom line--it's up to you. If you think your child could use the practice being in the real setting, then it may be a good idea. But it's certainly not absolutely necessary.

and why we're really glad he did is because of what it showed us. He needs absolutely NO extra study in grammar and writing but while his scores were exceptional in math, it did show areas to improve (I believe Saxon ruined his ability to think things through in Algebra) and he's wanting to try Algebra again from a different view. It also showed that under pressure he reads slower and comprehension isn't what it normally is when he's not under pressure. So we're looking for ways to improve his test skills.

Denise

My DD took the PSAT in 9th, 10th and 11th. By 11th grade she was overconfident and bored with the whole testing scene. Her brother will not take it in 9th (seemed too much overkill to us) but he will take it in 10th for "practice" and then again in 11th for "real."

he is an honor's student, got a 4 on World History AP exam as a 9th grader..so I think he thought this would be easy. HA! He did NOT score as high as he/we expected! Now he knows he DOES have to prepare for the "real" PSAT 9and later SAT/ACT stuff), so it proved a good eye-opener for him.

Downside - he has gotten mail every day (8 bits today!) from small little colleges that got his addie from the College Board. The excitment has worn off.