Menu

Discalculia question

Plucky

How do you know your child has it? What are the benefits to getting a dx? My son is struggling with math and I suspect he has discalculia, but short of working with him one-on-one, I don't know how a dx would help us.

Any info. you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

He also has ADHD and dyspraxia. He is 12.

Signs of dyscalculia - he has been simply unable to memorize math facts, despite years of practice. He cannot remember the steps involved in doing math problems beyond basic, double digit addition or subtraction. He cannot remember how to set up a math problem. He is confused by even fairly simple math concepts, and cannot remember how to do them without being guided through every single step, every single time.

We are currently starting MCP mathematics 4th grade book, as DS recently admitted he did not remember anything about division. Most likely, he really didn't understand it to begin with.

Advantages to the formal diagnosis - if he goes on to college, he will be able to get accomodations for taking SAT's, other entrance exams. He will be able to get accomodations for required math classes, or even have math classes waived, depending on his major. I would say this is the number one reason for getting the diagnosis.

Other benefits - prior to his diagnosis, I often felt that somehow his learning issues were just my fault, that if I was a better teacher, he wouldn't have these problems. I often wondered if he would be better off back in school. Now I am reassured that it is NOT my fault, that in fact he is doing much BETTER than he probably would in a regular school, and that it is also not HIS fault for not "trying harder". He tries as hard as he can.

The most helpful advice I was given was to let him use a calculator for basic math functions. Since he does understand addition/subtraction, I let him do those problems with a calculator. It gives him some feeling of control, and of accomplishment. Realistically, he will always need to use a calculator to do basic math, and that's not the worst thing in the world. I doubt he will choose to become an accountant or an engineer!

Anyway, we did private testing through an educational psychologist. It was expensive, but I feel it was worth it.

Michelle T

I've worked with my ds so much that I know it's not me anymore. :) But, it is hard sometimes. My ds is doing really well on his meds. So well. This is his main issue (apart from anxiety, and possibly tourettes). Where does the testing stop? Sorry, I'm emotionally rambling.

It sounds like a dx could benefit my son. He is a smart, creative boy that is very talented. I'd hate this issue to sabotage all his natural talents. :(

Thanks!

Elaine,

It sounds like he needs a thorough evaluation with a Neuropsych or child psychologist. Tourette's, anxiety, and ADHD are often co-morbids of more serious issues like spectrum disorders. Many children with Asperger's have all 3 of those and also sometimes have trouble with math (they usually either have trouble with it or they are brilliant in it).

Another possibility is Nonverbal Learning Disorder. Kids with NVLD often do poorly in math.. Do a quick assessment here... http://www.nldontheweb.org/ (click on "assessment")

Good luck!

He saw a neurodevelopmental pediatric psychologist when he was 4 and the doctor felt he was fine at the time. I've had a speech therapist mention that she thought he had CAPD and maybe asperger's. Our pediatrician said he was not asperger's and she used to be a special ed teacher. He has seen a pediatric psychologist recently when he was dxed with adhd and the dr. said he might also have asperger's. It's all so confusing sometimes. I need to get him back in and get some more serious testing so he is not short changed when he's ready for college or vocational training. He's such a creative, smart boy. Ugh.

Thanks, Misty.

Elaine,

Most pediatricians are not qualified to say yay or nay to an Asperger's dx. My 5yo daughter went through 2 days of testing by a child psychologist before she was diagnosed. She was diagnosed with Asperger's, nonverbal learning disorder, severe OCD, and ADHD.

Many kids with AS are very smart and creative. I suspect my oldest daughter (11yo) to have AS and she writes books in her spare time. She began reading at age 3 and had read more classic literature than most adults by the time she was 9. Her current book that she is writing is extremely well-written and creative. She's up to chapter 39. She has many signs of AS (rigid routines, rigid thinking, child-like behaviors, hand-flapping, lack of eye contact, immature emotions, etc.) and she also has many of the co-morbids including mild Tourette's and OCD (diagnosed 2 years ago), Executive Dysfunction, Synesthesia, and sensory issues. She also has hyperlexia, which is also common with Asperger's. She also has fine motor delay, mild ADD, and she almost received a dx of dyscalculia last week, but the psychologist didn't think she was quite impaired enough for the dx. She missed it by about 3 points, I think. He would not diagnose her with Asperger's because she is not very socially impaired even though girls with AS tend to not be as impaired as boys. He did agree that she had many AS traits, but still would not give her the dx. I will be seeking a 2nd opinion soon with someone who has more experience with AS girls!

Good luck!