Menu

I'm a terrible person. I must be.

There was this "Grandpa" character on Hee-Haw where a chorus of voices shouts "Hey, Grandpa! What's for dinner?"

And "Grandpa" would respond with something like:

"Stewed Ham hocks with grits,

cornbread drenched in Grandma's chicken gravy,

collard greens fried in bacon grease,

and, for dessert,

Aunt Bessie's sweet potato pie."

And then the chorus would respond with "YUM! YUM!"

Try this...it could be funny.

Claire in NM

Edited by Claire in NM

"The next person who asks what we're having for dinner."

Somehow this one is most like me. See I told you guys I was terrible! ;)

There was this "Grandpa" character on Hee-Haw where a chorus of "Hey, Grandpa! What's for dinner?"

And "Grandpa" would respond with something like:

"Stewed Ham hocks with grits,

cornbread drenched in Grandma's chicken gravy,

collard greens fried in bacon grease,

and, for dessert,

Aunt Bessie's sweet potato pie."

And then the chorus would respond with "YUM! YUM!"

Try this...it could be funny.

Claire in NM

I might have to invite our redneck neighbors (that is not a criticism...I swear I read a selection of 5th grade papers on the wall at school the other day, and one kid was a self described redneck!), so they can chime in at the right moment. :lol: NOT!

Thanks for making me feel like I'm in good company, folks. I feel a bit like Shrek sharing his swamp with all the outcast Disney characters. :D

shrek.jpg

Well, I don't have kids yet, but my dh often asks me what's for dinner, and I've been trying to not get annoyed with him! I often whip something new up or make dishes I haven't named, so it frustrates me to have to try to articulate exactly what it is. I figured out that dh looks forward all day to sitting down to dinner with me, so he wants to know what we're eating to help him have something to look forward to when he leaves the stress of work behind!

My new standard response when he wants to know what we're having and the dish doesn't have a name is to smile sweetly and say coyly "noodly stuff", "ricey stuff", "potatoey stuff", etc. This usually satisfies him!

:lol: What amazes me is when they ask while everyone else is in the room, and then the next one asks not a minute later. "Didn't you just hear me tell your sister not a minute ago?" :001_huh:

Yes, my kids do this also. Or one will ask and then the same one will ask 10 minutes later. Were they not listening the first time? Or is their memory that bad?

For a while, every morning I would write on the white board what we would be having for lunch and dinner. It helped. I don't remember why I stopped, but now that I've been reminded of it, I may have to start again.