Menu

Explain WWE to me...

Matryoshka

Would WWE level 2 be something useful for my almost 8yo dd? Am I correct in understanding that it's pretty much all narration, copywork and dictation, rather than creative or free writing? This dd is taking a creative writing class, and is having a hard time. I feel like she needs more work on those fundamentals, but I don't want to have to come up with the exercises myself, which I why I never got around to that stuff (which I always meant to do) with my older two. But they did fine without it - this one seems like she could really use it!

If I bought just the workbook (ie can I skip the text?), would it lay all that out for me so I could just open and go? How much time does it take every day?

The website has samples of parent and student pages for the workbook - is it actually two books or are the parent pages somehow included in the workbook pages?

TIA!

Yes, you can skip the manual if you have the workbook. Everything is laid out for you in the workbook. The manual just explains the philosophy behind it and gives lesson plans for all four levels, etc. You could definitely use Level 2 with an 8yo, especially if the child has been doing other writing. I'm using Level 1 with my almost 8yo and it's working well.

It is all copywork and narration, and I believe leads into dictation in level 2. The idea behind it (which is laid out for you in the manual) is that the child needs to obtain the writing skills before having to come up with their own material.

HTH! We are really enjoying WWE.

Would WWE level 2 be something useful for my almost 8yo dd? Am I correct in understanding that it's pretty much all narration, copywork and dictation, rather than creative or free writing? This dd is taking a creative writing class, and is having a hard time. I feel like she needs more work on those fundamentals, but I don't want to have to come up with the exercises myself, which I why I never got around to that stuff (which I always meant to do) with my older two. But they did fine without it - this one seems like she could really use it!

yes, it sounds like it would be a very good fit. My seven year old is doing level 2, and it's going very well so far. He actually doesn't have much problem with creative writing, but has a very hard time coming up with anything when given an actual assignment. Doing narrations with him have been like pulling teeth, but he's gotten much more confident about it just a few weeks into WWE.

If I bought just the workbook (ie can I skip the text?), would it lay all that out for me so I could just open and go? How much time does it take every day?

yes, I think you'd be fine without the text. The workbook is very much open and go. The narration days (days 1 and 4 each week) take us maybe 15-20 minutes. The dictation and copywork days are under 10.

The website has samples of parent and student pages for the workbook - is it actually two books or are the parent pages somehow included in the workbook pages?

Parent pages are in the front; student pages (perforated) are in the back.