Menu

WTMA Writing Instructors

Mama2two

My older two kids are in their second year of taking writing classes with WTMA.  Their Expository Writing 1 teacher is not coming back next year.

I was wondering if anyone could share any thoughts or reviews on the three teachers teaching Expository Writing 2 next year?  As much as we love the classes, wish they would have more luck with teachers staying for more than one year.  This will be their third teacher in three years.

Jennifer Roundabush

Jessica Otto

Elizabeth Edwards

My daughter had Tom Hummel for Expo 1 (focused, fun, inspiring); Jennifer Roudabush for first semester of Expo 2 (gentle, thorough, "made things her own" ); and, due to a conflict with an outside activity, we had to switch into Elizabeth Edwards's section for second semester of Expo 2 (very professional, sticks closer to WWS book, very kind, effective). Basically, all three were/are fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to enroll my D.C. in any of their sections. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

• Like 3

Thanks for this post... we are taking EW1 with Marquita Hockaday and I did not see her listed as an instructor next year.  :(  I was hoping she could be with the same teacher all 3 years of EW!  

Fourisenough:  How does Jennifer Roudabush make things her own??  Does she stick to the book somewhat?

May I sneak in here and ask a question?  I'm curious about the workshop format some have mentioned on the boards before.  Of the instructors listed above, do any of them use the workshop format?  and how do I find out if you all do not know?

Can you tell me if you think the workshop format is effective for a reluctant writer?

Thanks.

Thanks for this post... we are taking EW1 with Marquita Hockaday and I did not see her listed as an instructor next year. :( I was hoping she could be with the same teacher all 3 years of EW!

Fourisenough: How does Jennifer Roudabush make things her own?? Does she stick to the book somewhat?

That was a direct quote from my daughter! I think she meant that Dr. Roudabush opens each class with a fun trivia question; she uses class time to do some of the day 1 & 2 tasks from the book, etc. I can ask her for more specifics later, but that is all that comes to mind right now.

May I sneak in here and ask a question? I'm curious about the workshop format some have mentioned on the boards before. Of the instructors listed above, do any of them use the workshop format? and how do I find out if you all do not know?

Can you tell me if you think the workshop format is effective for a reluctant writer?

Thanks.

Tom Hummel uses the workshop format extensively and it seems to work for all the kids (and dare I say convert the reluctant writers into eager writers?); I've never heard a bad word about his teaching. He expertly guides them into giving very thorough, meaningful feedback on others' writing, and, in the process, reflect on their own craft. My DD can't wait until Rhetoric 1 to have him again!

Neither Roudabush nor Edwards uses the workshop frequently. That is not to say that they never use it; it is just employed much less frequently in their classes.

I remember several threads (last year?) where people were up-in-arms about the workshop format; I guess I'm a little more laid-back on this issue. I'd like to see a teacher teach in the manner that best fits their vision and style and plays to their strengths as an instructor. We've had both ends of the spectrum, and both have worked very well for my DD. I will admit that she is an especially flexible, motivated, capable little thing (unlike some other children in my household :laugh: ).

Edited by fourisenough

May I sneak in here and ask a question?  I'm curious about the workshop format some have mentioned on the boards before.  Of the instructors listed above, do any of them use the workshop format?  and how do I find out if you all do not know?

Thanks.

Whether or not a particular instructor uses workshop format is supposed to be included in the instructor's bio on the WTMA website.  http://www.wtmacademy.com/instructors/