Menu

My dyslexic DS is reading for fun!

A year ago we moved to TN and got involved in a D&D group. Prior DS had played a little with cousins and DH but he'd struggled with all the reading, I ended up getting him PDF versions for the tablet and it helped but he still struggled to read at any speed and couldn't remember 1/2 of what he read.  There's a series of D&D fiction books he wanted so I bought him the first one.... he couldn't get through it, was really struggling.  So I got him the audio book.  He's been asking for the 2nd book (audio) for at least 6 months but I insisted that he could buy it out of his own $$ or it could be a present for his b-day... so I hadn't purchased it yet.  His sister brings it home in paperback from the used bookstore yesterday.  Last week after taking a practice ACT (he did poorly with time, did pretty good un-timed), we discussed reading strategies and how he could improve his time/retention  and I think it just clicked for him because he's 1/2 way through it and isn't having any trouble remembering what is going on in the story.  He's always done this, he'd have a big jump in his reading skills then plateau for a long while, but it's been a couple years since his last big jump.  I'm ecstatic and just thought I'd share. :hurray:

• Like 9

And I had him writing by hand today (we practiced some last week, it was awful!) we were doing an assignment from LAoW and it was legible.... Just all of a sudden.  He decided last week, after the practice test, that he needed to do better and ta da, he is.  It's just been a LONG road to this point and I didn't give up but I have been discouraged and concerned for his future.  Seeing this big of a jump all of a sudden is such a HUGE relief.... makes me tear up a little :crying:  in happiness. 

• Like 3