Menu

After Ordinary Parents Guide?

ReadingMama1214

DD is in prek and has 31 lessons left in OPGTR. I've posted about spelling and I think I've decided to hold off on spelling since she's so young and I'm not sure what approach we want to take for that yet.

But, what do we do after OPGTR? DD loves our lesson times. She does currently read aloud to me daily and will continue to do that. I have a copy of Wise Owl Pollysyllables and I plan to go through that with her, but is there anything else we should do?

She'll go to a Spanish Immersion school for K-8 and won't start English Language arts until 3rd grade and I want to reinforce those concepts at home.

If we do a curriculum of any kind I'd prefer it to be similar to OPGTR in that it's cheap, extensive, and pretty black and white. I liked the simplicity of OPGTR

What is your local library like?

After completing something like OPGtTR, I don't know what to advise, besides just reading tons and tons. I have considered, but never used Reading Pathways. My library doesn't have it and from the preview on Amazon, I can't tell if it's going to focus enough on longer, multisyllable words which is pretty much all we need. Tell me about Wise Owl Poly Syllables? Is there anything like it in the public domain?

After we completed a foundation course in phonics, we've began using the beginning reader section of the library. We have a daily reading time and have Jr read to me from beginning reader childrens books. The books are labeled and color coded and have AR levels on them. We don't keep precise count, but we have Jr. read about 100 books at each grade level aloud and independently, before we begin pulling more advanced books for him. Of course we also buddy read and he gets read to for hours also, but his fluency and expression is building rapidly from reading tons and tons below his decoding level.

How do you think your daughter would like a series of literature anthologies? We have a few sets of 1st and 2nd grade reading anthologies from big name School publishers--most of the stories we've read from the library, but the anthologies have extra info (questions, writing prompts, blurbs about the authors) that make it a little more interesting. You can order editions of Houghton Mifflin, Open Court, Reading Street, etc, for pennies on the dollar compared to the latest editions.

We're planning to build as much fluency as we can and if it's still an issue next year, we'll probably do something for multi syllable words. For now, Jr is reading aloud almost daily from 3rd grade level books (after reading ~100 books at a K, 1st and 2nd grade level). We'll probably continue this all the way through 6th or 8th grade level passages.

You might enjoy a big book of poetry and nursery rhymes. Or vocabulary program. We've been considering doing vocabulary and poetry for him next year. We're not going to offer, encourage or push him into chapter books until elementary school. He could read a chapter book now, but I don't think he'd enjoy it.

Roughly our plan for

2017: Regular oral reading practice this year. (Works all the phonics muscles, builds sight word vocabulary from natural repetition, and punctuation training)

2018: Poetry, vocabulary (root-based, foreign words), First Language Lessons + Living LA books (Words are CATergorical, World of Language). Lots of Reading

Jr loves to write, but we don't include any formal plans for penmanship yet, though he is learning Spalding handwriting. If he progresses significantly in writing over the course of this year, then maybe we'll include plans for writing in 2018, but for now, penmanship isn't that important.

We're interested in giving him a world language. Personally, I adore the French cursive and have teased about moving to France for his K-2 years just so that he can learn the handwriting :wub:

What is your local library like?

After completing something like OPGtTR, I don't know what to advise, besides just reading tons and tons. I have considered, but never used Reading Pathways. My library doesn't have it and from the preview on Amazon, I can't tell if it's going to focus enough on longer, multisyllable words which is pretty much all we need. Tell me about Wise Owl Poly Syllables? Is there anything like it in the public domain?

After we completed a foundation course in phonics, we've began using the beginning reader section of the library. We have a daily reading time and have Jr read to me from beginning reader childrens books. The books are labeled and color coded and have AR levels on them. We don't keep precise count, but we have Jr. read about 100 books at each grade level aloud and independently, before we begin pulling more advanced books for him. Of course we also buddy read and he gets read to for hours also, but his fluency and expression is building rapidly from reading tons and tons below his decoding level.

How do you think your daughter would like a series of literature anthologies? We have a few sets of 1st and 2nd grade reading anthologies from big name School publishers--most of the stories we've read from the library, but the anthologies have extra info (questions, writing prompts, blurbs about the authors) that make it a little more interesting. You can order editions of Houghton Mifflin, Open Court, Reading Street, etc, for pennies on the dollar compared to the latest editions.

We're planning to build as much fluency as we can and if it's still an issue next year, we'll probably do something for multi syllable words. For now, Jr is reading aloud almost daily from 3rd grade level books (after reading ~100 books at a K, 1st and 2nd grade level). We'll probably continue this all the way through 6th or 8th grade level passages.

You might enjoy a big book of poetry and nursery rhymes. Or vocabulary program. We've been considering doing vocabulary and poetry for him next year. We're not going to offer, encourage or push him into chapter books until elementary school. He could read a chapter book now, but I don't think he'd enjoy it.

Our library is fantastic. Dd got her own library card for her birthday and loves it. I know our library has Phonics Pathways and Spalding so they may have Reading Pathways. I'll have to check it out.

Her fluency is fairly good but definitely could use improvement with tone and expression. So I don't plan to have her stop reading aloud to me for a while.

We don't have any anthologies, but do have some school styled readers and the McGuffey readers. I was going to have her read from McGuffey. Mainly for the vocabulary and to build fluency.

She does love poetry so I should find more at her level. That's a good idea.

She'll learn cursive next year in K. The immersion school she's going to does cursive first. Not sure the style, but i do know it's in the curriculum.

• Like 1

I know that these aren't as open and go as OPGtTR, but we have 10 Reading Comprehension Card Games and 10 Vocabulary Card Games and are looking at Daily Word Ladders K-1 and 1-2, we'll probably introduce them this spring/summer and if he likes them then we'll get Word Ladders 2-3 and possibly 4-6 also.

Jr. doesn't get screen time at home, so we have thought about using some parts of ReadingBear as an option to expose him to more advanced phonics when the time comes. If he is receptive to ReadingBear, we would have him do the units on 2 & 3 Syllables and 3 & 4 Syllables.

Please let me know how you like WISE OWL Poly Syllables and/or Reading Pathways if your library has it.

I'll have to look at Readingbear.

Wise Owl was $15 on Amazon. It's essentially a list of 3+ syllable words split similarly to the way OPGTR does. I think we'll do a page a day and then focus more on handwriting.

She writes well but rushes and then doesn't pay attention to the sizing and lines so we will formally work on it. Right now she just writes a lot informally and I help when formation is whacky.

I'll have to look at Readingbear.

Wise Owl was $15 on Amazon. It's essentially a list of 3+ syllable words split similarly to the way OPGTR does. I think we'll do a page a day and then focus more on handwriting. Is there a table of contents or glossary on the word lessons? I know OPGTR has their lesson index in the back of the book, but I can't tell from the Amazon Preview. About how big is the font? We never used OPGTR with Jr. because of the font size and the cluttered pages. Is WOP similar in layout/format to OPGTR?

The page seems a little less crowded. It is all for the student to read (on most pages) and has a word to sound out and then the word in a sentence. There are usually 8 sentences per page. The format is similar to the following: 

in-stall-ment: My dad is buying a car on the installment plan. He is making payments every month until he has paid for it.

There are 8 sentences in that format per page They're done in groups based on phonograms. There are 5 Groups. Group A: 137 words. Group B: 184 Words. Group C 147 Words. Group D: 218 Words. Group E: 250 Words. It essentially helps them to build advanced phonics skills.

Edited by ReadingMama1214

We went from OPG to Memoria Press 2nd grade with my first son. The words are mostly easy for him in the books, but that builds fluency while still keeping the content age appropriate. With my 2nd son who is 5 and due to finish OPG soon, we will use readers for the rest of this year then do Memoria Press starting in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...