Menu

Science is confusing me.... Please Help 🤔

Hello,

I've posted a few times asking about grammar & science choices for 8th grade, and while I have decided on grammar, science is still a challenge.

I'm a bit confused because I'm not really sure what area of science I should be teaching my son next year for 8th. He's currently at a university school, but will be home full time next year for 8th.

I checked to see what they will be teaching for science next year at the UM school & it's earth science (which I believe they did in 6th grade, so it must be more in depth). The public schools teach physical science though. This year he's doing life science.

My original thought was to do another earth science for 8th, then physical science in 9th, followed by Biology in 10th, chemistry in 11th, & then maybe physics for senior year. However, when reading on the forums, I notice lots of 8th graders taking physical science or just a mix of different areas of science.

So, I'm confused & need help please. Do I need to focus on a specific area of science for 8th grade? If so, what do you recommend? I need something that is going to be fairly easy to teach with some fun hands on projects or labs. While my son reads alright, he doesn't love tons of reading.

Thanks everyone! 😊

I think the best thing to do would be to look at your plans for high school, then work backwards.    Do you see your DS potentially pursuing a STEM-related career or college degree?   Does he love science?  Does he have an opinion on what he'd like to study for 8th grade?

If he loves science or wants to pursue a STEM field, you may want to consider Biology in 9th, Chemistry in 10th, Physics in 11th (assuming he'll have finished Algebra II by then, which seems to be a pre-requisite for many Physics curricula), then his 4th science in 12th could be an AP science, or 2 semesters of dual enrolled science at a local college, or just another science course that interests him.

If he doesn't love science, won't have the pre-requisite math, or you see his college/career goals being in other areas, Physical Science in 9th, Biology in 10th, Chemistry in 11th, then Physics or something else in 12th.

Depending on your high school plan, it might become very important that he take Physical Science in 8th grade (to prepare him for Biology the following year), or 8th grade might be the last opportunity to do a science course that interests him before he starts a more rigorous sequence in high school.   If he has a strong opinion about a science course he'd like to study, 8th grade would be a good year to do it.

• Like 3

Your planned progression is great! :) If that is what best addresses your family's needs and interests, going with a traditional Science progression is great. Science is flexible even up through high school, so that's why you will see variety. So if you want to explore non-traditional subjects, that's fine too.

The key is to complete 3-4 solid Science credits with lab in high school in order to have the required credits for admission to college. Many colleges do not specify what Science subjects they expect to see, so you have more freedom to be flexible. Some colleges do either require or highly recommend Biology and Chemistry as two of the credits, so if you are concerned, then just make sure to hit Biology and Chemistry at some point in high school, and you can be flexible with your other 2 high school Science credits.

If your student plans to go into a STEM-based (Science Technology Engineering Math) college major, or is heading towards a top tier / competitive / selective university, then you probably want to complete the 3 traditional Science subjects of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, plus 1-2 additional Science credits. (To be competitive for admission to top tier / selective colleges, if entering a STEM major, students need 4+ Sciences, with several Advanced Sciences.)

Even a student who starts off in high school with Physical Science in 9th grade, and decides later in high school that s/he wants to go into a STEM-based college major can still work in all the required sciences by doing 2 semesters of dual-enrollment Science at a local community college or university in 12th grade, as 1 semester of college-level Science equals 1 YEAR of high school Science in the credits, and it is advanced level of work -- all of which works favorably for the student applying to a STEM-based major in college. :)

The only other thing I would take into consideration is if your student might possibly be attending a local high school that has a specific Science progression, so that your student's homeschool credits will blend right in with the high school's credits and not delay the student by having to take other Sciences to meet the high school's requirements for graduation.

But that was all the "long answer" ;) . The short answer is: your progression looks great! The key to planning your high school Science is to just make sure that whatever Science you do is of high school level, and that it matches up with your family's needs and interests. And if your student is headed towards a STEM field, that the choice and rigor of Science credits matches up with admission requirements of future colleges of choice.

In case you're interested, below are the traditional progressions, plus ideas for alternate Science subjects. BEST of luck in your Science journey in 8th grade and beyond! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Traditional Science Progression - Average

8th grade = Physical Science

9th grade = Biology

10th grade = Chemistry

11th grade = Physics

12th grade = Advanced Science (or alternate science subject)

Traditional Science Progression - Accelerated or STEM-based

7th grade = Physical Science

8th grade = Biology

9th grade = Chemistry

10th grade = Physics

11th grade = Advanced Science

12th grade = Advanced Science

Traditional Science Progression - Gifted/Advanced

6th grade = Physical Science

7th grade = Biology

8th grade = Chemistry

9th grade = Physics

10th grade = Advanced Science

11th grade = College level Sciences

12th grade = College level Sciences

A Few Alternates to Traditional Science Subjects

Environmental Science

Anatomy & Physiology

Astronomy

Geology / Earth Science 

Horticulture / Agriculture

Botany

Marine Biology

Meteorology

Edited by Lori D.

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you both sooo much for the great information. I appreciate it very much!

My son isn't quite sure what he wants to do yet. He has a great interest in maybe working with computer animation somehow, creating movies or games. Another possible interest of his may be graphic design.

I think he may be fine if we stick to the traditional plan. I'm going to reread all this information again just to make sure though. Thank you, thank you!!! ðŸ‘ðŸ˜

...My son isn't quite sure what he wants to do yet. He has a great interest in maybe working with computer animation somehow, creating movies or games. Another possible interest of his may be graphic design.

Yes, those fields are Fine Arts/Graphic Arts, and *possibly* Computer Programming, so your choice of Science subjects in high school absolutely won't come in to play for prep for college.

So doing Physical Science in 8th or 9th, and Biology and Chemistry (and possibly Physics) sometime in high school, and then alternate science subject(s) would work fine, if that's something you both would be interested in. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1