Menu

BJU English placement

diaperjoys

I believe they have placement tests, but you have to purchase them. :(   I agree that BJU is on target for grade level.  The writing portions would be easy to jump in anywhere, I think.  The grammar may be a bit tougher if you've never done any before.  It's doable, but I think it moves at a quicker pace as each year goes on and the diagramming is more advanced each year. 

If you've done formal writing/grammar, I'd say go in at grade level.  If you haven't, or your child struggles a bit, it wouldn't hurt to go a grade under either.  Depending on your kids, you could easily meet in the middle and combine them with the grade 6 books. 

Have you checked out the samples on the BJU website?  They give a full chapter and the TOC to browse through.  (The grade 7 & up books are quite different than the revised 6 and under levels. )

Have you checked out the samples on the BJU website?  They give a full chapter and the TOC to browse through.  (The grade 7 & up books are quite different than the revised 6 and under levels. )

When I saw the thread title, this was my first thought.   Definitely make sure you look at the samples, because grade 7 is very different.

My kids did BJU English (writing/grammar) from 1st through 6th grades, and as long as your kids have had some introduction to grammar, they should be fine starting at grade level.