Menu

History help (3rd year in cycle)

UCF612

I'm debating history for next year. We are reading SOTW 2 (medieval) this year. We started with Wayfarers but dropped it because we just couldn't keep pace and are just reading SOTW combined with written activities (sometimes just writing, sometimes fun things like making a newspaper story, etc) after. I'd like to do a little more in depth history next year as we enter the early modern history time period.

What is your favorite for this period?

I've looked at Prairie Primer and Beautiful Feet Books Early American History Intermediate level. My boys will be 3rd and 5th grade.

Me too! We're finishing Middle Ages this spring, and this whole week I've been obsessively researching early-American curricula. We use CHOW now, but I want something a little *more* for next year.

My girls will be in 4th and 6th (though perform more like a year younger). I've looked at BF Early Am. Intermediate (a top contender, maybe), Portraits of American Girlhood, Trail Guide to Learning, Time Travelers sets.... *sigh...* I'm tempted to go with something hands off like VP self-paced cause I'm dissatisfied with my choices.

I'm interested in what others have to suggest.

• Like 1

We just finished SOTW 2.  We love the SOTW series, and plan to continue with the next two books, however, I do want to cover US history in a bit more depth.  Therefore, I am going to integrate The Complete Book of United States History into SOTW 3 and 4.  I just looked through TCBoUSH and figured out when each section would fit in the SOTW books.  So we might do a week of world history in SOTW, and then spend a week learning more specifically what was happening in the US at that time.  According to my schedule, it should take us about three years to cover those three books.  Conveniently, year 1 covers up to 1800, year 2 covers up to 1900 and year 3 covers up to the present.

Wendy

• Like 1