Menu

Roget's Thesaurus: Leibniz & Aristotle Categories

I had noticed in vintage textbooks that there was a lot of overlap in vocabulary instruction in science and composition books and work for primary students called "object lessons".

I'm seeing a similarity in the organization of Roget's Thesaurus. Wiki says all this is based on work by Leibniz and Aristotle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roget%27s_Thesaurus

Why have we dropped all this? Was there any benefit to dropping all this, or is it just like handwriting and Latin and everything else that is often still valued but got squeezed out?

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

Wiki Outline of Roget's

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Outline_of_Roget%27s_Thesaurus

These are the 6 Classes. When I click on the page, the classes are expanded, but if I click on each of them, I can hide the contents of each class and view them all at once.

Class I. Words Expressing Abstract Relations

Class II. Words Relating to Space

Class III. Words Relating to Matter

Class IV. Words Relating to the Intellectual Faculties

Class V. Words Relating to the Voluntary Powers

Class VI. Words Relating to the Sentient and Moral Powers

Edited by Hunter

Okay, I am beyond fascinated now. My 5th edition has 15 classes instead of 6.

The 5th edition starts with the class of Human Body and the first entry is Birth.

I like the old order of the first entry being Existence. It reminds me of the Westminster Catechism: What is the chief end of man?

Why are we here? What does it mean to exist? Those are good places to start. Birth doesn't have the same opening bang as Existence.

Here is a free older edition at archive.org but I'm not sure if this is the same as the wiki original.

https://archive.org/details/Rogets-Thesaurus

Is there an original in print? Or at least one closer to the original?

As I looked at the entries, I'm thinking I would really like to know the definition of every entry, even if I never learn all the subentries, never mind the information under each subentry.

You have a talent for finding gems in the rubble, Hunter.

I never ever would have thought a thesaurus more than a synonym finder.

A person could draw quite a lot from that thesaurus though.

I love the simplicity of a single source for a free and deep lesson. I am thinking summer school. My kids would buy "just one word" per day. Ha!

Hmmmm...

• Like 2

The organizational structure fascinates me.

I'm fascinated with how this thesaurus fits in with vintage textbooks for object lessons, oral composition, and science lessons. It appears that familiarity with this book was a given.

The 1000 titles fascinate me. Many modern highly-schooled people don't know the meaning of some these titles. It is humbling to think these words must have been more commonly known. Maybe sometimes learned only through use of the thesaurus. I want to know these words.

Four, it does seem doable to use this for vocabulary lessons, doesn't it?

This book needs to be reprinted. The current edition is not this book.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm lost. I've been hoping someone else would chime in and I'd glean something from context clues without having to cop to being SUPER ignorant but...no such luck. :blushing:

So, I'm pretty much out of the Vintage Curricular loop. Can you please explain more about "object lessons"? Or rather, can you tell me some vintage primary series that included object lessons?

I don't get this thesaurus though. 

• Like 1

Primary Object Lessons

https://archive.org/details/primaryobjectles00calk

According to wiki, the organization of the thesaurus topics is based on works by Leibitz and Aristotle. The organization of the thesaurus is familiar to me. Am I right to assume that many older books are based on Leibitz and Aristotle? I really didn't think too much about where it started. In the 1700s and 1800s in London and France some scope and sequences similar to our common core were developed and text books were often based on them. Maybe those scope and sequences were not as new as I thought.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

Science Object Lessons following the scheme issued by the London School Board

https://books.google.com/books?id=VKZJAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=science+object+lessons&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-y_DZuP7RAhXE7SYKHYSdB3YQ6AEILDAE#v=onepage&q=science%20object%20lessons&f=false

The teaching of precise vocabulary was considered important.

Edited by Hunter

Four, it does seem doable to use this for vocabulary lessons, doesn't it?

This book needs to be reprinted. The current edition is not this book.

Yes, it seems doable to pull out quite a rich LA and content lesson with just the thesaurus. 

• Like 1

This 1915 grade 1-8 scope and sequence is from later than the period when labeling and categorizing were at their prime, but it is very very interesting. The link takes you straight to the oral composition section.

https://books.google.com/books?id=X5JJAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA87&dq=oral+composition+primary&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3qIr00P7RAhUG2SYKHWk0Bjw4ChDoAQgoMAM#v=onepage&q=oral%20composition%20primary&f=false

Vintage books is such an awesome hobby. Whenever I am lucky enough to have some wifi, it is free after that, and whenever I find something awesome, I can share it with anyone and everyone I want.