Menu

US Constitution and philosophers

I'm currently listening to a Great Courses audio book (http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/american-ideals-founding-a-quot-republic-of-virtue-quot.html) by Daniel Robinson called "Founding a Republic of Virtue" that sounds like what you're after.

I have a few of the Great Courses, and some are definitely better than others.  But the ones lectured by Robinson are incredible.  He did one on philosophy that is my all-time favorite, and in the "Virtue" title he approaches the Constitution (and related documents) from a philosophical context.  And he drops names! (i.e., primary sources for further study).  I highly recommend it.  

It's a little over my middle-schooler's head, but I'm interested in the topic--and if the kiddo's in the car when I'm listening, we both listen.  (We often use audio for "stretch" listening.)  But it would be perfect for high school. It comes with a book outline, too.