Menu

WWYD...and what things would you consider in your decision?

Donna

A little history first...My kids seem to have a knack for music. Everyone tells me that my boys are musically gifted and my dd is phenominal. Dd has been taking Suzuki violin lessons for the last 3 years and, sort of by accident, as a result of attending a Celtic music concert and buying a How to DVD then finding a fiddle teacher, she started Celtic fiddling a year ago. She plays very well, has an amazing ear, and learns extremely quickly. She loves to play in front of a crowd and seems to perform better, the bigger the crowd. She began getting invitations to play for different events and her brothers wanted to get in on the act so they started accompanying her on drums and guitar.

The kids have been getting more and more invitations, playing for festivals, at cafes, on the local radio station, etc... Recently a former band member who now writes and records children's music heard them play and asked his former manager to look at their videos. The manager thinks they have marketable talent and a unique act and depending on how much we are willing to pursue it...meaning taking the kids "on tour" to bigger events, they could do well.

I have so many thoughts going through my head at the moment. This is just not what I would have ever planned for my kids' life. I feel like I need to stop thinking about what I want (being the center of attention is just not my thing at all) and consider what they want. This is something they really love doing. If you could see dd on stage performing, you would understand...she can talk to the crowd, joke with them, etc...she just loves it and her brothers love music as well. Then I have to worry about whether or not it will affect dd's later ability to do classical music (her classical teacher thinks she is talented enough that if she wants to put in the time and practice, she could be competing with teens/young adults by 9-10yo).

So, were you to be in my shoes...WWYD. What would be your prime considerations in the decision, either way? Or, if you have had a child who performed/performs publically, what pros and cons have you encountered?

Thanks!

I would go with it since (1) the children enjoy it and (2) it's got its own momentum. Really. I would try to start getting advice from professionals in the business on how to handle things (get an agent/manager, etc.). The good news is that since you are skeptical it will help you from pushing the children further than they want to go ; ). If you don't bankrupt yourself and you don't make your children hate the whole thing, you should be good.

as long as that is what all the kids want. They are young enough that it will not affect their schooling in the long term and it sounds like great experience for them all. Just make sure you can get out if one of the kids doesn't like it or you don't like the direction it's heading.

I agree with WTMCassandra's post!

And your dc sound adorable! Is there a youtube video we could watch? PM if there is...I would love to see them!

Not that I'm skeptical ;), but what does he mean by "do well"? Does he mean they could perform many times with little financial reward, at your expense? Or does he mean they could perform with great financial benefits? Does fame=wealth? Does it matter to you either way?

Our family would not and could not pour money into performances, so that would be our first consideration. We have a dd who could be a professional dancer if we spent time and money on her training. And she would be thrilled with the opportunity and experience. But we can't and won't put our entire family through what it will take to promote her talent. She'll excel at something else down the road. :)

However, that all 3 of your children enjoy and excel at this is a great pro! Your family could stay together during rehearsals and performances. And they enjoy it...what a blessing!

Try to think 10-20 years ahead. What will you regret not doing? Will you regret not taking a chance when it was available or not having a 'regular, normal family life'? What will the dc be in therapy for? :lol:

hth!

Aggie

I agree with WTMCassandra's post!

Not that I'm skeptical ;), but what does he mean by "do well"? Does he mean they could perform many times with little financial reward, at your expense? Or does he mean they could perform with great financial benefits? Does fame=wealth? Does it matter to you either way?

Try to think 10-20 years ahead. What will you regret not doing? Will you regret not taking a chance when it was available or not having a 'regular, normal family life'? What will the dc be in therapy for? :lol:

Aggie,

I am skeptical as well. That is a lot of what is going through my mind. I know many people would be like "fame and fortune, great, let's go for it!!!" but that is just not me. All of this is a little surreal to me and I just want to make good choices so my kids don't end up in therapy, well at least not for that! :lol:

"Do well" in his words meant "even if all they do is make enough money to put themselves through college..."

Fame and wealth do not matter to me in the least. Like I said I am happy where I am right now. Though it does frighten me with the costs of continuing dd's lessons as she progresses and needs better and better teachers and prices of larger and larger violins (I just had to insure the 1/8th size violin we got for her). It would be really nice for her to be able to make some money to defray those costs but if she doesn't we will do what we have to do.

What will I regret not doing? What will "they" regret seems like the biggest question to me? Will they resent us if we do not give them at least a chance? I think as long as it goes slowly, I will be able to handle everything.

Right now, the one musician who heard them and asked them to play for his stand at the festival offered to make them a demo CD for free (as a "thankyou"). He seems like a really nice guy, and I usually have a 6th sense for people and was looking really hard for "creepy or slick" when I met him, and genuinely seems to want to help them.

"Do well" in his words meant "even if all they do is make enough money to put themselves through college..."

That sounds pretty okay to me. I agree that it could be a very interesting opportunity in that your dc's and you might potentially travel and meet people and see historical sites or museums or what have you. Depending on how far it went, it could be an enormous unschooling in itself. Travelling for music work is the only way I saw much of the world, and it is best done when young (!) and can be very exciting and eye and mind opening. However, since ds is so young, it also could happen later in life and be just as great an opportunity and she might be ready for more of it - even just three years and then your ds's could still be there for it.

If you did do this while she is so young, definitely "... make sure you can get out if one of the kids doesn't like it or you don't like the direction it's heading" as AnneC said. That might limit the scope of contracts and could be information you want before deciding. Agencies might not be as willing to push for certain things if they thought your family group (The Partridge Family!) could back out at any moment. What happens if a dc has the flu? or there's some other family emergency.

and fwiw imho, if your dc are more interested in Celtic music rather than "classical", so be it. It's just like pushing anything else. Pushing a particular type of music, while that can be a good exercise for the brain and fingers, etc., can end up just sounding like an exercise if it's not their music. Fostering an appreciation by listening to the music is the best step toward learning it rather than have it pushed on someone. Sometimes that appreciation buds in the desire to play and pursue it later. those are my various thoughts. - Jill