Menu

How fast do/did you move through Phonics Pathways?

Kay in Cal

We're on page 50 with my ds4. He's doing fine--still "sounding out" words but gets them correct. He only likes to do 1 page a day--which feels kind of slow to me. Ds4 likes to write and draw, so we also do HWT, sometimes ETC and Singapore K.

I'm happy to move at his pace, but I was just wondering: If you did/do use PP with a new or younger reader, how fast are you going?

We're on page 50 with my ds4. He's doing fine--still "sounding out" words but gets them correct. He only likes to do 1 page a day--which feels kind of slow to me. Ds4 likes to write and draw, so we also do HWT, sometimes ETC and Singapore K.

I'm happy to move at his pace, but I was just wondering: If you did/do use PP with a new or younger reader, how fast are you going?

We typically did 1 page a day until they got past the painful, laborious, please-don't-make-me-listen-to-another-word phase (um, yeah, teaching reading isn't my favorite thing :001_huh:).

I have 5-year-old twins and we're on page 87 of Phonics Pathways. We started it a few months ago. They have done very well and are reading words that they haven't even learned the rules for yet. (Don't know how they figured that out.)

We do one page a day. I think that's plenty for us. Then we spend time just reading books. It has worked for us so far. I just had their reading assessed and they are reading on a second grade level.

Just my opinion. You are probably the best judge of how fast or slow your child is capable of going. My boys could probably do more, but I just want reading to be relaxed for now.

HTH,

Andrea

My 4 and 5 yos have always done 1 page of PP a day. The few times I've attempted to move faster, I've usually regretted it because the child seldomly retains the phonics as well. It took my oldest a year and a half to complete phonics pathways, but he was reading on a 4th grade level starting 1st grade. My youngest is following in his brother's footsteps. He's on track for taking a year and a half to complete PP and for being at a 4th grade reading level completing it. What I'm trying to say is PP is well worth the time to take it slow and steady. :001_smile:

We actually never did a full page at ages 4-5. It was like pulling teeth. He is now six and now can do 2-3 pages easily. I know most people say their kids can read a whole page each day, but my little guy sure couldn't. I think it's more important to go at their own pace so they retain more. :001_smile: