Menu

Help with Math Placement

I don't know if my son is necessarily accelerated but things seem to click quick in math with him. He's been doing the 1st grade math in focus book this year. Technically he's TK this year but he really likes math and kept asking to work on math problems and since I had the 1st grade book I let him do it. He's done really good and enjoys it but I feel like it's so many problems and if he understands the topic and I keep having him do problem after problem he gets bored. We are going to finish off the book but I don't know what math to put him in next year. Should I just continue math in focus and if he gets it let him skip problems? We also have math mammoth already. The other curriculum I've been looking at are MEP or Miquon. I want him to continue to love math and I don't want to force him to finish off every problem just because it's in the book but I don't want to miss anything either. Any suggestions? 

I don't know if my son is necessarily accelerated but things seem to click quick in math with him. He's been doing the 1st grade math in focus book this year. Technically he's TK this year but he really likes math and kept asking to work on math problems and since I had the 1st grade book I let him do it. He's done really good and enjoys it but I feel like it's so many problems and if he understands the topic and I keep having him do problem after problem he gets bored. We are going to finish off the book but I don't know what math to put him in next year. Should I just continue math in focus and if he gets it let him skip problems? We also have math mammoth already. The other curriculum I've been looking at are MEP or Miquon. I want him to continue to love math and I don't want to force him to finish off every problem just because it's in the book but I don't want to miss anything either. Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with math in focus but the way I accelerated when I was starting out and trying to figure out level was by pretesting. Then I would only go over skills missed and move on. Math mammoth is a good one for accelerating because it's inexpensive if you end up going through a lot of material in a short period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you can go wrong with a kid who gets math easily as long as you respect their mode and velocity of learning.  You already have MIF and MM?  And MEP is free.  So try any/all of those.  Buy Miquon too if you want and it's in your budget.  You could pick one as a main and throw in some of another/others as a supplement, do multiple full curricula, stick with just one, or whatever.  Don't feel like every worksheet or even every part of any particular ws must be completed.  Review only as much as he needs.  If he's bored, move on.  If he struggles, camp out.  The same concepts tend to reappear over and over and over in elementary math, just presented more quickly and with bigger numbers as you move through the grades.  I wouldn't worry about missing things if you let him skip problems he seems to get.

One of my boys did Singapore U.S. Edition 1 (verbally with the textbook), RighStart 1st edition A and B (full program), and MEP 1 (mostly just the worksheets) over the past year because he likes math and wanted more.  Each program presented things a little differently and had a different enough S&S that it didn't feel repetitive doing all three.  I compacted and skipped worksheets and lessons in RS and MEP as needed.  Moving forward, we're working on RS C and MEP 2, but I'll change things when I need to.  Educating him feels like dancing.