Menu

Horizons Math--what about subtraction facts?

Jane

This is my first year using Horizons K--overall I'm loving it! However, yesterday I noticed that they keep reviewing those simple addition facts (addends are less than 10), but never review the simple subtraction facts. Looking ahead, my K daughter will begin a unit on subtracting single digits from double digits, but again they don't add the simple subtraction to the review portion of her work--only simple addition. Anyone know why this might be?

My apologies for noticing what might seem like petty details to others. My children tend to be strong mathematically and I'm always looking for where they are weak and need extra work. In the process I sometimes discover it was a weakness in my math program as well as with my child.

On that note, if you know of another weak area in Horizons, I would love to read about it so I'll be prepared.

Thanks.

4 of my kids have finished Horizons and two are currently using it (1st and 5th grade texts) Honestly, I have found no weaknesses in my kids math. Horizons has provided a strong foundation for all of their upper level math skills.

Subtraction has never presented a problem (nor division) b/c they have such a strong foundation in understanding math that the concept that 5+3=8 is completely related to 8-5=3 is no more than a simple explanation and moving on. They haven't had to "learn" their subtraction facts, just apply the knowledge base they already possess.

Thanks, Momof7. So are you saying that there is also not as much subtraction practice in 1st grade?

I'm not trying to be difficult. I've always used SM in the elementary years and do really like Horizons for my current student, but am still assessing the program and debating whether to combine programs.

Thank you.

We use a Horizons/Singapore combo. This works out very nicely. Horizons for drill. DS can work math facts very quickly because of the practice he's gotten through Horizons. I don't even assign all drill-type questions. Generally about half of them. We do this in the early morning. Then later in the day, we work on Singapore which covers concepts exceptionally well.

HTHs

This is not really what you are asking, but I just thought I'd let you know we have used Horizons from K to 5th grade and have never had a problem with facts or seen a weakness, etc. I can't remember exactly what we did in K, but you'll drill the subtraction and addition over and over at some point. I don't think you'll be disappointed in it.

Do you have the part 1 of the teacher's guide? In the teacher's guides they offer a lot of suggestions for teaching facts. I have known people who skip the teacher's guides but I prefer to buy them. Anyhow, if not in K at some point later on it will have a lot of drill suggestions.

Edited by sandalwood

This is my first year using Horizons K--overall I'm loving it! However, yesterday I noticed that they keep reviewing those simple addition facts (addends are less than 10), but never review the simple subtraction facts. Looking ahead, my K daughter will begin a unit on subtracting single digits from double digits, but again they don't add the simple subtraction to the review portion of her work--only simple addition. Anyone know why this might be?

My apologies for noticing what might seem like petty details to others. My children tend to be strong mathematically and I'm always looking for where they are weak and need extra work. In the process I sometimes discover it was a weakness in my math program as well as with my child.

On that note, if you know of another weak area in Horizons, I would love to read about it so I'll be prepared.

Thanks.

I noticed in your signature that you also use Saxon Math. Maybe you could use Saxon for the subtraction facts that the Horizon's math is weak on.

With my kids I use a Saxon/Singapore combination and it works great for us.

I looked through my dd's 1st grade book. There is a significant amount of sub. review in book 1 (I didn't go pull out book 2)

FWIW, I bought all of SM math back when my oldest was finishing up 6th grade. He could work through all of the SM problems without any difficulty with the exception of the rate/flow problems b/c he hadn't learned the r*t=d formula. He solved them all algebraically, not bar diagrams. I have never had any regrets using Horizons. My oldest has finished all his math requirements for his engineering degree, my 2nd oldest is in pre-cal, and my next 2 are in geometry. All of them have had the foundation needed for higher math.