Menu

Grammar for grade 3

momof4...

I know I keep posting on here but I keep reading forums and reviews and changing my mind .

My son will be in grade 3 in September . We are using AAR and AAS. He will do WWE level 2 in grade 3. I want to start grammar with him . We used FLL 1 and it went okay but we both weren't really fans of it. I want to use MCT but I might wait until 4th grade . People say if they have some grammar knowledge MCT will be easier . So I thought for grade 3 of maybe doing Winston grammar because it looks hands on and that aspect from AAR has really helped my son. Should I just back off and start MCT in grade 4? Or try Winston grammar or easy grammar ?

This year, I used The Sentence Family with my 5 and 7 year olds together.  It was a perfect, short introduction to the parts of speech.  We went slowly, and it still only took a few weeks.

That was enough for my K'er, but I wanted my 2nd grader to have a bit more grammar with an emphasis on punctuation.  We are using the Basher Grammar and Punctuation books as our spines; these are simple and fun, without an overload of information.  I am pulling some corresponding workbook pages from free, online McGraw-Hill National Treasures workbooks and from the K12 Reader website

Next year, in 3rd we are using MCT.  I could wait and try to have my boys do it together (they do almost all content subjects together), but I think it is more of a one-on-one cuddled on the couch curriculum rather than an all gathered round the table curriculum.

Wendy 

I was under the impression that MCT started at the beginning and didn't expect any previous knowledge base. If that's the case just holding off on grammar until you begin MCT should work out fine.

FWIW, my current third grader is using Treasured Conversations, which is a writing book that includes grammar.  Siblings used FLL 3 or R&S 3.

If you're comfortable teaching the concepts yourself Daily Language Review from Evan Moor would give you 5-10 minutes of exercises daily.

I was under the impression that MCT started at the beginning and didn't expect any previous knowledge base. If that's the case just holding off on grammar until you begin MCT should work out fine.

I spoke with MCT at a conference, and he said that children are ready for island level when they are reading to learn instead of learning to read.  He also said, though, that a rudimentary knowledge of the parts of speech is helpful so they are ready to learn the more complex and sophisticated grammar concepts. 

Wendy

Thanks everyone . I think I will just go ahead with MCT for my 3rd grader and do it one on one.

The beauty of homeschooling is that if he isn't quite ready, you can just shelve it for a bit.

My plan is to start it with my DS whenever he finishes what he is working on now, slow down if he struggles with the advanced grammar and stop if necessary and just wait 6 months or a year.

Wendy

I spoke with MCT at a conference, and he said that children are ready for island level when they are reading to learn instead of learning to read.  He also said, though, that a rudimentary knowledge of the parts of speech is helpful so they are ready to learn the more complex and sophisticated grammar concepts. 

Wendy

Perfect. :) My MCT knowledge ends at what I've read on this board.

Perhaps reading Grammar-Land for fun before hand then? Or even listening to the music cd for FLL 1/2.