Menu

How much more work is AP Chem than Honors Chem?

Some online providers will waive the first year Chem requirement and since my son will be done Alg 2 I'm pretty sure they would let him enroll in JH and PA HS AP Chem classes....

But how much more work is it, really? Honors covers 3/4 of the topics AP does. Is two years really necessary? My son likes Science and always does well. But I don't want to overwhelm him.

This would be for a very bright, hard working but not extremely gifted 10th grader with good study skills but who doesn't like to do schoolwork after dinner :)

We're planning on doing PAH AP Chem next year without a Chem prerequisite. We'll be done with Alg II also. The professor said it's mostly math that is the prerequisite and will provide to us some reading material/book to use as prep the summer before. My ds will be 10th also. We're right lock, stock & barrel with you. :-)

• Like 2

What's your plan for 10th? Are you in the 10th grade thread (I can look there)? We are trying to keep it lightish next year too - we'll have time-consuming PAH AP Macro, but that's only 1/2 year - then we're self-studying AP Micro.... still trying to figure out US Hist. Was thinking WTM US Hist (regular/not AP) as he likes the WTMA format, but we'll see. 

Anyone else with experience with AP Chem/Honors Chem?

• Like 1

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/high-school-life/1657467-ap-chemistry-vs-honors-chemistry.html

http://blog.prepscholar.com/is-ap-chemistry-hard

The second link is very objective and includes examples as well as a little statistical analysis.

I've been reading online and it looks like AP Chem

Is considered one of the hardest AP classes there is. Not only do you have to study two hours per day the entire year but you have to understand WHY the chemicals react the way they do and solve very long complicated equations. I remember loving balancing equations and I never understood why other people had a problem with it. But here you have to really understand why the chemicles fact the way they do...But idk, looking around the internet gives me a feeling that this particular AP class is maybe too hard alongside Pre Calc for my son. I think I'm going to look i to an an AP history instead for him. :)

Edited by Calming Tea

But how much more work is it, really? Honors covers 3/4 of the topics AP does. Is two years really necessary? My son likes Science and always does well. But I don't want to overwhelm him.

This would be for a very bright, hard working but not extremely gifted 10th grader with good study skills but who doesn't like to do schoolwork after dinner :)

I've posted on this in the past, but I think your ds will do fine.  My dd took it in 9th grade with no high school chemistry prior.  Your ds will need to be comfortable reading carefully from a textbook, making sure he thoroughly understands everything.  He also needs the courage to contact Mr. M or the TAs if he has any questions, no matter what.  Do not let anything slide.  Ask lots of questions.  Read carefully.  

• Like 1

I've been reading online and it looks like AP Chem

Is considered one of the hardest AP classes there is. Not only do you have to study two hours per day the entire year but you have to understand WHY the chemicals react the way they do and solve very long complicated equations. I remember loving balancing equations and I never understood why other people had a problem with it. But here you have to really understand why the chemicles fact the way they do...But idk, looking around the internet gives me a feeling that this particular AP class is maybe too hard alongside Pre Calc for my son. I think I'm going to look i to an an AP history instead for him. :)

My son is handling 5 classes this semester: 2 AP, 2 DE at the CC and 1 DE at the university. His schedule was similar last semester (but no DE at uni). All are core classes (none are electives). Although I would not suggest this schedule to most, he manages (he does not swim every day or meet friends every day though). And he likes all of his classes. There is no way that he can work on every class every day so he uses a block schedule method. I asked him his thoughts and DS replied:

"The PAH AP Chemistry class starts off easy. You review basic information like what is an atom, what is a molecule, phases of matter, etc. The class then slowly ramps up to more calculation-heavy materials. However, Mr. M provides a great deal of supplementary help and encourages a more relaxed approach to homework assignments and problems. There are no long complicated equations in the class thus far. This January, the class has ramped up some more. I spend about 8 hours a week at most. The class is challenging but fun.

At each phase, Mr. M assigns 3-4 labs and gives students 4 weeks to complete them so you can combine some of the work that way."

His stress levels are higher during midterm periods but relatively zero at other times. He sleeps at 10.30pm-ish (unless if he stays up to read) and wakes up around 8am. On busier days he works till 8pm or 9pm. Things will ramp up more this week as one of his DE classes is a night class. But his earlier preparation has helped him manage his time much better. And weekends are slower and breezier here and he wakes up late. He does set aside some hours on weekends to work but not all day round. My kid's main interests are academic though so please keep that in mind.

• Like 3