Menu

Spalding

mom2kando

I have an 8 year old boy. He is reading at a 1.5 grade level I would say. It's been slow progress. Really slow. He is is pretty bright and his comprehension when I read aloud, and even when he reads from something he didn't struggle with is great, but he just keeps getting stuck. He knows most of the phonograms (I think), he just gets hung up with words...i.e. figuring out how to sound them out.

Will spalding help (I hear so much about it here)?

Something else?

I'm looking for a way to help him put the sounds together in words when he sees them.

We did AAR 1 last year

Something like that is not in our budget now...

"Just reading" (guided reading) is not working

He does ETC 4 with no problem and spelling workout b which is easy for him and always gets 100 on "tests"

He's a puzzle to me

🤔

Edited by mom2kando

I have an 8 year old boy. He is reading at a 1.5 grade level I would say. It's been slow progress. Really slow. He is is pretty bright and his comprehension when I read aloud, and even when he reads from something he didn't struggle with is great, but he just keeps getting stuck. He knows most of the phonograms (I think), he just gets hung up with words...i.e. figuring out how to sound them out.

Will spalding help (I hear so much about it here)?

Something else?

I'm looking for a way to help him put the sounds together in words when he sees them.

We did AAR 1 last year

Something like that is not in our budget now...

"Just reading" (guided reading) is not working

He does ETC 4 with no problem and spelling workout b which is easy for him and always gets 100 on "tests"

He's a puzzle to me

🤔

As the resident Spalding geek :D I would of course say YES! Spalding will help.

The caveat is, of course, that you must teach it properly, which is to say that you must follow the method as closely as possible, without putting your own creative spin on it. :-)

Most of us prefer the fourth edition of Writing Road to Reading. So once you acquire that (and a set of Spalding phonogram cards), you will need to study it before you begin teaching. You will need to read it cover to cover more than once. But when you begin teaching, it will be easy:

Teach the phonograms that begin with circles.

Teach the phonograms that begin with lines.

Do oral and written drills daily of the phonograms that have been taught.

When he knows the first 54 phonograms, begin teaching the words in the Extended Ayres List.

When he has finished the spelling words to Section H, teach the rest of the phonograms.

Rinse and repeat. ;-)

Everything you need to know is right there in the manual. Some of the instructions are embedded in the spelling list itself, which is why you need to read the manual from cover to cover more than once. :-)

So, the manual and a set of phonogram cards will cost you less than $40. You will never need to buy anything else (except for a sewn composition book, in which he will write his spelling words). Some people like to use the McCall-Harby booklets, but they really are optional.

When you have read the manual through twice, I can give you a list of "crutches" to use with the phonograms. :-)

I will be a voice of dissent. My struggling readers do not do well with Spalding. Since words are introduced by the most common words first and the weeks spelling lists had so many different rules at once it did not work well for them. Also having reading tied in with spelling was another difficulty. Even though it is learning to read through spelling it was not helping to learn how to spell well. I got an assenment and a few tutoring sessions at a place that uses Barton and in that time between lessons I saw a few families from the school they went to that uses Spalding there. One of my children did really well with it and I have seen a lot of kids reading well from it. It can get a kid without a weakness reading well pretty fast.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1