Menu

Do you use ¡Buen viaje! for Spanish?

My DD is in the 3rd year of Spanish (TTUISD) using the textbook and workbook. She says it is "pretty good".   We are in Colombia, so the Mexican Spanish in the textbook sometimes causes a lot of confusion, since it is not the rather pure Spanish  spoken here, but I assume that would be typical of any Spanish textbook or program in the USA, because the vast majority of Hispanics in the USA are of Mexican descent and they are writing the textbooks.  An example of that I think is the word "Gomas".  Apparently,  if you are in Mexico, and you go into a store, to buy "Gomas", you will get Tires. Here in Colombia, you would get Bubble Gum.  Something like that.  Again, that is not something I believe is limited to the textbook and workbook your thread is about, but that one should be aware that in different countries in Latin America, some words may mean things that are totally different and unrelated, in another country.   

• Like 1

Thank you so much Lanny. I didn't realize that you live in Columbia.

I don't mind differences between tires and gum; I'm more interested in pairing a workbook with the Duolingo my son is already doing. So, is there both a textbook and a workbook for Buen Viaje?

I can't afford to put him in a "real" Spanish class at $95 per month, per kid (he's already in piano, theater and Krav Maga -- my wallet is tapped out). So I'd like to use Duolingo, a good Spanish workbook and my four years of middle school and high school Spanish. (Lame, I know, but again it's the money).

My goal is that my son will go to junior college (in about three years), take Spanish, and not be totally lost.

Any thoughts? And thank you!!

Alley

• Like 1

Thank you so much Lanny. I didn't realize that you live in Columbia.

I don't mind differences between tires and gum; I'm more interested in pairing a workbook with the Duolingo my son is already doing. So, is there both a textbook and a workbook for Buen Viaje?

I can't afford to put him in a "real" Spanish class at $95 per month, per kid (he's already in piano, theater and Krav Maga -- my wallet is tapped out). So I'd like to use Duolingo, a good Spanish workbook and my four years of middle school and high school Spanish. (Lame, I know, but again it's the money).

My goal is that my son will go to junior college (in about three years), take Spanish, and not be totally lost.

Any thoughts? And thank you!!

Alley

I have a T Shirt and a Coffee Mug that say "It's Colombia, Not Columbia".  I think 99% of Americans misspell the name of this country because of Columbia University and the District of Columbia.

Back to the topic:   Yes, there is a Textbook and also a Workbook, for each level.  Important note: The Workbook has something about Audio in the Title or Description. There are no CDs or DVDs included, so when you receive it, without a CD or DVD, that is normal...  As far as I know, there are no CDs or DVDs required or available.  If they are, my DD does not have them. 

My DD is studying now, but later, when we are eating Breakfast, I will ask her your question about using it with Duolingo. My guess is that it would give him a head start.  A little knowledge can be dangerous, if one is doing brain surgery, or flying an Airbus A320,  but in the case of languages, I believe any knowledge is helpful and a foundation for additional knowledge. 

There are at least 3 levels, because my DD is now in the 3rd level.  She began with an ability to speak Spanish well, but not to Write or Read well, and we want her to be more proficient in Spanish.

I will ask her if she thinks someone using the Textbook and the Workbook, along with Duolingo, would be better off than just with Duolingo.  

@Alley  FOLLOW ON:   We just finished our Breakfast. My DD told me that there are a lot of things in the Workbook that refer to the Textbook. If one only had the Workbook, one would be lost.  She also told me that she gets the Audio from her course in TTUISD.  Without the Audio, I think one would be completely lost, with that Textbook and Workbook.   You wrote that the Spanish course you were looking at is $95 per month. The TTUISD High School courses are $190 per semester, plus you buy the textbook and workbook. I usually buy those from Amazon Marketplace Sellers. The TTUISD "Online" courses are Asynchronous, so they require a lot of Time Management and Self Discipline on the part of the students.  HTH and GL with your decision.