Menu

Strained muscle?

Night Elf

Yesterday I strained the back of my knee while I was stretching. I had my leg bent in close to my body and squeezed the whole leg. I immediately felt a slight pain. I figured it was a temporary thing and didn't worry about it. Today it hurts when I walk and it really hurts if I bend the leg back toward my body again. I iced the back of my knee and I am elevating it. What else can I do? How long will this last? How long should I stay off it? I'm not finding much online except information about a pulled hamstring.

Your description is very vague, as the leg bends a lot of different ways. Can you be more specific? Was the knee joint bent or straight at the time of pain? What does "squeezed the whole leg" mean - did you tense all your muscles simultaneously without actually moving the leg? Why did you do this? Is it a specific form of stretching, or was it in response to the pain?

Hmm.. so hard to explain. I had the lower leg below the knee bent towards me. Picture sitting in a chair and the leg is bent at a 90 degree angle. Then keep bending the knee until the calf is touching the back of the thigh. I was laying down on my bed and pulled my legs towards my body and bent both knees and pulled them towards me. It was similar to the exercise where you stand holding onto a chair, then bend your leg up, grasp your foot and pull up so the calf is touching the thigh, then tense the muscles. I wasn't trying to exercise. I was just being silly I guess while watching tv.

Ok, so I wouldn't worry about the knee joint being injured. I'd just walk as normally as possible, to keep blood flowing to the area. Take an ibuprophin if needed, and get on with life. 

I still don't understand why you tense your muscles in a stretch. You should be relaxing the muscles.

Ok, so I wouldn't worry about the knee joint being injured. I'd just walk as normally as possible, to keep blood flowing to the area. Take an ibuprophin if needed, and get on with life. 

I still don't understand why you tense your muscles in a stretch. You should be relaxing the muscles.

I know that. I don't know why I said that. When I do that exercise I most certainly don't tense up. Yesterday when I hurt myself I was moving my whole body, trying to get into a sitting position, that's why my legs were tensed up. I had not straightened them out when I tensed so my leg was bent all the way back. Good grief.

I know that. I don't know why I said that. When I do that exercise I most certainly don't tense up. Yesterday when I hurt myself I was moving my whole body, trying to get into a sitting position, that's why my legs were tensed up. I had not straightened them out when I tensed so my leg was bent all the way back. Good grief.

Maybe you should take a contortionist class? :laugh:  It sounds like you were doing some funky moves. 

I was being as silly as a kid, except I'm middle age and have no business acting like that. I know I won't do that again! Haha!

It's not fair that young kids can tie their bodies in knots, then go run off and play. We more "mature types" have to watch how we navigate down a flight of stairs sometimes. ;)

Edited by wintermom

Yesterday I strained the back of my knee while I was stretching. I had my leg bent in close to my body and squeezed the whole leg. I immediately felt a slight pain. I figured it was a temporary thing and didn't worry about it. Today it hurts when I walk and it really hurts if I bend the leg back toward my body again. I iced the back of my knee and I am elevating it. What else can I do? How long will this last? How long should I stay off it? I'm not finding much online except information about a pulled hamstring.

I would give it a couple more days. It doesn't sound as if you hurt the joint at all, but possibly some soft tissue. I would ice on and off (no more than 20 min on) and be gentle with it (normal walking but baby it when it's in positions that would hurt.) If needed, take ibuprofen.