Menu

Full spectrum light bulbs?

TABmom

I have them all over the house because they are a much nicer light and much better if you do arts and crafts. They can seem harsh when brand new. I don't have a brand to recommend but if you search on Amazon you should find a range of what's around at the moment with reviews.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

My DH hates them, I love them. I'm home all day and the yellow/dim light doesn't help my mood. I don't have any motivation in that kind of lighting.

So we bought full spectrum bulbs. Much better. We've had them for a couple of years and it's much easier to jump right into our day, especially if it's gloomy or winter out and opening the blinds doesn't help. I think having the bulbs everywhere helps a lot more than just sitting in front of my happy light for a half hour. 

Get dimmers or for special use, get the programmable lights made by Phillips. My son has these in his room and he has them programmed to turn up slowly with a yellow light at dawn to wake him up; to turn off at the time he goes to work; to turn on when he is scheduled to arrive home; and to go amber in the evening which is helpful for sleep attainment and off at midnight. I am not sure he knows anymore how to work a light switch. This has been a real boon for us in a lot of ways, primary among them, the morning wake up in the dark of the northwest winter.

In our bigger rooms we have 25W (100W equivalent) 1750 lumens 6500k and in the smaller rooms we have 20W (60W) equivalent 1530 lumens 6500k. I have also had 150W equivalent bulbs but that's a bit much. From what I've read none of these truly mimic daylight but they're definitely nicer than non full spectrum ones. These aren't dimmable.

We still have more yellow bulbs in table lamps so it can be made more cosy in the evening.

Edited by lailasmum

Why does your dh hate them? I've been reading up on them and I'm finding all the different numbers confusing!

He thinks they are too harsh. He likes the softer yellowish lights.

Every time I buy lightbulbs I find all of the numbers confusing too. Now, I usually just end up just buying whatever is LED and seems to indicate that it is a very white light.

We just installed a bunch of white bulbs in our house.  I didn't buy them, DH did, so I am not sure if they are called full spectrum, but man is this house bright now. 

And that means, I can see things that need cleaning. 

Had to be a down side.

I don't know about mood yet, but it does wake me up in the morning!