Menu

Science suggestions for 4th grade

mykidsrmyjoy

I'm already starting to plan for the upcoming school year and need help with science choices. We're working through Apologia Astronomy and have also done the Botany. We've also tried out AiG God's Design for Life.

All those were just meh. So many people recommend Apologia, but honestly, I'm just not feeling the love. Maybe we get tired of staying on the same topic all year and we get to the point where I feel like we're doing it just to mark it off the list, not for the joy and excitement of learning. I also feel like a fair amount of the info goes over DD's head and she doesn't seem to be retaining a lot of what she's learning. What's the point of teaching all this wonderful information if the kid doesn't remember any of it in a few weeks?

So this brings me to my question. I'm looking at BJU science (the DVDs look great but not sure if price is worth it), Noeo science, and Nancy Larson science (again, price is higher than I like). Has anyone used any of these and have any advice/tips/suggestions?

• 1 year later...

Just want to put a plug in for Mystery Science. The videos are highly engaging (everyone comes running when they hear the video opener, "Hi, it's Doug...") and the experiments are relevant, easy to prepare, and fun. And the best part is that science actually gets done. As an engineer, I can't say enough good things about this program.

I’ve been looking too!

I came across this site https://scienceshepherd.com/ and am in Love so far! It’s easy 2-5 min. Videos and hand on experiments with simple worksheets(my DD is dyslexic so this is perfect).

The guy can be kinda monotone sounding, but my girls liked the sample lessons so far. The price is sooo reasonable that we may toggle back and fourth between mystery science and science shepherd!

Mystery science runs a special once a year and you can get a whole year for free, it’s limited access to the site but we’ve enjoyed it so far.

We’ve also done a year of free mystery science and it’s nice, but it’s not christian. So if that’s important to you then I’d preview what videos you let them watch.