Menu

Biomedical Engineering and High School Classes?

DD-13 just announced she wants to go for Biomedical Engineering in college. What kind of classes besides the obvious math, English, and science should I include in her 9th grade year? I am planning on doing a blend of online JC classes and individual classes from Laurel Springs. The only class I feel comfortable teaching is an AP Human Geography course.

Thanks! 

For a student going into any STEM field a good foundation in math and science is important. Strong math classes are important, but even more so understanding the math before just moving on.

Physics is good for any engineering; biology and chemistry are important for Biomedical Engineering. I'd also through in statistics because I think it's important for everyone.

In general a solid high school class load would include:

English - 4 years

Science - I'd aim for a minimum of biology, chemistry, physics for a STEM student; you might add second years of these courses or add anatomy and physiology

Math - 4 years starting wherever she is at

Foreign Language - I'd do a minimum of 2 years

History/Social studies - 3 years

You can add in more core classes, more foreign language, other electives, etc. I would let her pick some classes and go from there. Weighting the courses toward a heavier load is more competitive if trying to get into harder schools.

• Like 1

My kid has a similar aspiration! We decided to throw in programming in addition to regular sciences. We keep being told that majoring in electrical engineering or computers could be a better path to work in that field since apparently biomedical engineering is too general. Don't take my word on this since we don't know much but are seeking same answers.

• Like 1

Do you think she wants to use BME as a path to medical school or to work an engineering job? I'm not sure it influences what she does in high school, but it might influence what she does in college.

A fair number of BME students go on to medical school is why I ask.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone Biomedical Engineering - not sure if I would have gone to med school or not. As it was I went Chemical Engineering to medical school.

• Like 2