Menu

Help. I can't do a 5th grade math problem.

cintinative

I cannot figure out how they got the answer for this (yes, I looked at the key) or understand the model they drew, so I am at a loss. I keep getting a different answer. Help?

from MIF5A Extra Practice p 93

Reena and Pauline have some bookmarks.  If Reena gives Pauline 28 bookmarks, they will have the same number of bookmarks. If Pauline gives Reena 35 bookmarks, she will have 1/3 of what Reena has.  How many bookmarks does Reena have?

TIA!!!

When I saw 5A, I at first assumed Singapore math so I solved it with bar models. First, I made same-sized boxes for Reena ® and Pauiline (P). Then I gave R 56 more, because if she gives P 28 they will have the same number - she'd be giving P half of what she has that is more than what P has. Then it says that if P gives R 35, she will have 1/3 of what R has. So, take 35 from P's 'box' and give it to R. When. you take 35 from P anhd give it to R, there's a new difference of 70 more between P's small box and R's total amount. So, 126 is the difference, and equals 2/3 of what P now has. So, the remaining 1/3 is 63 - that's what P has if she gives away 35. So, she started with 63+35, or 98. R has 98 + 56.

• Like 1

When I saw 5A, I at first assumed Singapore math so I solved it with bar models. First, I made same-sized boxes for Reena ® and Pauiline (P). Then I gave R 56 more, because if she gives P 28 they will have the same number - she'd be giving P half of what she has that is more than what P has. Then it says that if P gives R 35, she will have 1/3 of what R has. So, take 35 from P's 'box' and give it to R. When. you take 35 from P anhd give it to R, there's a new difference of 70 more between P's small box and R's total amount. So, 126 is the difference, and equals 2/3 of what P now has. So, the remaining 1/3 is 63 - that's what P has if she gives away 35. So, she started with 63+35, or 98. R has 98 + 56.

It is Singapore Math style. It's just Math in Focus vs. Singapore Math Standards etc.