Menu

Sample professor inquiry letter for college search?

JanetC

One priority for DD is to find a college where she can do research in planetary science, but she is balking at sending emails to professors to ask about opportunities.

Does anyone have some sample letters she could use to get started?

Thanks!

Dear Professor Smith,

my name is Jane Doe; I am a high school junior and considering applying to XYZ University. I plan to major in astronomy, and I am particularly interested in planetary science. From your department's website I have learned that your group is active in planetary science research.

I would like to learn more about your research program/ about opportunities undergraduates can be involved in research in your group/or whatever else she wants to know and would be grateful if you could send me some information.

Thank you very much for your time.

Jane Doe

• Like 2

Should she attach her resume of science awards? transcripts? anything else?

No.

The professor does not make any admissions decisions. If all she wants is inquire what opportunities there are for students and what he does for research, she does not need anything else. The prof is providing general information - not guaranteeing that she will get a research spot, or get admitted, or whatever. He or she does not need any extra info at this point.

I guess I was thinking that mentioning that she knows how to use JMARS and other relevant tools and will have taken first year calculus and first year physics before arriving on campus, etc, she might be more productive/useful to a professor than a typical freshman?

But, I think you might be right that at this stage they would be talking in generalities and her specific skill set might not be relevant yet.

I guess I was thinking that mentioning that she knows how to use JMARS and other relevant tools and will have taken first year calculus and first year physics before arriving on campus, etc, she might be more productive/useful to a professor than a typical freshman?

But, I think you might be right that at this stage they would be talking in generalities and her specific skill set might not be relevant yet.

I think these are things to bring up after she has been admitted when she is starting.

I cannot imagine a professor becoming very invested in a prospective student who might possibly end up doing undergrad research if that person has not applied to, let alone been admitted, to the school - unless the student has so stellar accomplishments, done research and published, for example, that the prof will want to take actions to woo this particular student to the university (which would be difficult, since admissions decisions are not made by faculty)

• Like 1

I would  think the professor could give more detailed information about the program if he/she knew the student already has a slight background in it and knows how to use tools that correspond with it. I'm not a science person or a professor, but I would think including additional information would aid the professor in the direction of the reply. IOW, he/she isn't just replying to someone who might possibly be interested in the topic sometime in the future (which would generate a very general response), but one who has proven herself interested by learning XYZ (and because she already has some knowledge, the reply could be shaped differently with more detail.) 

• Like 1

She might also ask if she could contact a current undergrad or grad student in their department to learn more about the department and opportunities for research.  

There should be a student organization (for example, we have a Society of Physics Students chapter) the student could contact. The information should be available on the website. 

• Like 2

You can also ask to meet with the prof while visiting the college, to talk about the prof's research (and share the student's interests/research). My sons did this-- before college visits we had them look at the profs who shared their interests. Usually I would scope out the site first, then highlight several profs that would be good matches. My sons picked who to contact. They contacted them, said they would be on campus on x date and could they meet up to talk about the prof's work. Before the visit they reviewed the prof's site, read some of their academic articles so that they had specific things to ask about. My oldest was able to turn one of these meetings into a college essay when that school asked applicants to share 'an interesting conversation' they had had in the last year. For my second son, he talked about a project for which my son had received an art grant, and the art prof gave him advice and his secret formula for concrete for the project. Although my son never used the secret formula, it was a great way to collaborate and talk shop. 

Maria

• Like 2