Menu

College Prep Writing

My 8th grader is doing great with expressive writing, she has liked Killgallon books, Cover Story, the ones that let the students sort of express theirselves.  When it comes to more academic writing, we have issues.  We have been using Oak Meadow 8th grade.  I can honestly say she has not written one single good essay.  It's not the grammar, it's the content, organization, supportive details, and structure that trip her up.  I have tried everything I can think of to help, I write diagrams, discuss, help organize.. and then I read the paper and wonder where I went wrong.  Last year we tried Essentials in Writing- same thing.  When I look back at all her elementary and middle school writing, I see the same thing.  I'm just not sure how to fix it.  Does anyone have any good ideas for me?  We are in the 2nd semester of 8th grade, and looking at HS level courses for next year.  We have plans for DE in 2 years, but only if her writing is college level by then, and now that doesn't look like it will happen unless I find a miracle cure.  I'm thinking something not literature based.  She loves to read, but writing about the books isn't happening, (even when I let her pick the books).  I'm wondering about history or science based writing programs?  Maybe just books on how to write, and then letting her pick the topics to use?   Any ideas welcome!

My miracle cure was Brave Writer courses. It was amazing how they stepped my non-writer through the process - both the structure of how to do an essay as well as the content. They take the student where they are and move them along. My dysgraphic oldest son continues to apply BW techniques to everything he does. He says he still hates to write, but if he has to, he wants to do it the Brave Writer way.

You might want to look at the Well Trained Mind Academy classes. She could do Intro to Rhetoric as a 9th grader or even one of the other WWE classes possibly. From what I've read here you can changed levels with no charge if it's the wrong fit and they have a really good satisfaction guarantee.

IEW Student Writing Intensive/ and Continuation courses are perfect for a child that struggles with all the thing you said. They start with modeling writing of others, yet allow for the student to make it their own. The student can change things a lot or a little depending on their comfort level. IEW then slowly pushes them to come up with original content, but in a very easy way for them to transition to. The "structure an style" IEW uses really does give the student the tools to make their writing sound good and very well organized.  These dvd courses make it easy for you too.

• Like 1