Menu

Critique my plan please pretty please

Ausmumof3

No we came late to well trained mind. We started sonlight in the early grades and they don't hit story of the world till grade 6 for some reason. I really like it and it works for my younger two kids as well so I'm hoping to use it but extend my older a bit with library books and other resources if possible.

I'm open to suggestions for something more detailed though I just don't have anything in mind.

Ok I ended up switching out biology for the chemistry that should work for both my older kids level and I'm pretty sure ds won't mind doing chemistry again. Then I will try to keep them on the same science cycle to keep things simple. I also didn't order Latin as I'm hoping to pick up something second hand but will see how it works out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think it looks wonderful! We are using SOTW with the Kingfisher Illustrated Encyclopedia as a spine. My girls are in 5th and 3rd. As we move through the different time periods, we just head to the library and pick out great non-fiction and living books to supplement. I love the encyclopedia so much! It goes from 40,000 BC to present day, which in that book because it is out of print is roughly 1990. I will pick up where that leaves off. It got great reviews so I picked it up for a penny on amazon plus shipping. It is like a massive timeline with gorgeous illustrations! I feel children learn so much more from reading. And in 5th grade they aren't going to remember every detail you through at them. No one does. If you make it a natural extension of their curiosity they are so much more liable to absorb it and take it with them. It makes for a gradual and calm transition from grammar to logic. Our curriculum is very similar to yours for next year!

• Like 1

I think it looks wonderful! We are using SOTW with the Kingfisher Illustrated Encyclopedia as a spine. My girls are in 5th and 3rd. As we move through the different time periods, we just head to the library and pick out great non-fiction and living books to supplement. I love the encyclopedia so much! It goes from 40,000 BC to present day, which in that book because it is out of print is roughly 1990. I will pick up where that leaves off. It got great reviews so I picked it up for a penny on amazon plus shipping. It is like a massive timeline with gorgeous illustrations! I feel children learn so much more from reading. And in 5th grade they aren't going to remember every detail you through at them. No one does. If you make it a natural extension of their curiosity they are so much more liable to absorb it and take it with them. It makes for a gradual and calm transition from grammar to logic. Our curriculum is very similar to yours for next year!

• Like 1

Looks solid to me! I assume literature is covered in relation to history? Also, Getting Started With Latin might be a cheaper way to start Latin. Or maybe with a text that's available in a PDF?

I am just planning to go through the sonlight lists and borrow what I can from the library for literature as well as handling some read alouds. I actually didn't end up ordering Latin at all. Ds is not interested and I don't have backup from DH who thinks its a total waste of time.

• Like 1

I also switched out RSO biology for chemistry because I can use it for my 3rd and 5th grader. I want to keep them both on the same history and science cycles because I don't think I can handle a kindy program and two separate science and history programmes as well. Otherwise I think we are good to go.

Also I added building critical thinking skills.

Depending on your 5th grader, SOTW 1 might be a bit...young ? Good luck with the new year - do you start this week ?

He's liking It at the moment (started last weeks of last year) but I hope to supplement to beef it up a bit. He is my builder/maker/designer not my academic. If at some point he says it's too babyish I'll find something else though.

• Like 1