Menu

Cross posted: What to do After Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading?

Dd 5 has 95 lessons left in OPGTR. I believe we will be done by the end of the school year or early summer of she slows down with the more difficult material. A friend is sending me the physical McGuffeys readers books 2-6. I plan to have her read from these.

But, next year she will go to an immersion school and have no English language arts until 3rd grade. I plan to continue English language arts at home.

I'm looking for inexpensive curriculum suggestions for spelling and comprehension.

What did you use after OPGTR?

My older two just took off with reading and we really didn't do anything else; in fact we didn't even finish the reading program we were using. Neither has needed spelling or comprehension--they read, I read to them, they listen to audiobooks.

What will her immersion language be?

My older two just took off with reading and we really didn't do anything else; in fact we didn't even finish the reading program we were using. Neither has needed spelling or comprehension--they read, I read to them, they listen to audiobooks.

What will her immersion language be?

It will be Spanish.

I wanted to do some grammar and spelling with her after we finish phonics.

It will be Spanish.

I wanted to do some grammar and spelling with her after we finish phonics.

Spelling could be a good thing if she doesn't pick it up naturally from reading (some kids do); it is possible she could try to use Spanish spelling rules for English (one of my young my siblings did this when my family was living in a Spanish speaking country, I had the hardest time deciphering his letters to me until I figured out what was happening). 

Some kids really don't need any spelling lessons at all--my older two are better spellers than I ever have been, they just remember how to spell a word after reading it.

I'm really not a fan of grammar for young kids, I think it is unnecessary abstraction of language at that point.

Spelling could be a good thing if she doesn't pick it up naturally from reading (some kids do); it is possible she could try to use Spanish spelling rules for English (one of my young my siblings did this when my family was living in a Spanish speaking country, I had the hardest time deciphering his letters to me until I figured out what was happening).

Some kids really don't need any spelling lessons at all--my older two are better spellers than I ever have been, they just remember how to spell a word after reading it.

I'm really not a fan of grammar for young kids, I think it is unnecessary abstraction of language at that point.

It's hard to tell yet how she'll be with spelling. The spelling she does now is either phonetic or words she's memorized From reading.

I think we'll do spelling and hold off on grammar.