Menu

MFW for Middle School?

pocjets

Oldest (currently college junior, who got plenty of scholarships and is on dean's list each semester in electrical engineering and comp sci) and Middle (current grade 12) used MFW in those years and it was fine for us.  Apologia was fine. Saxon too.  Total opposite experience from previous poster. Everyone is different and does school in their own way and own goals and all of that. If you'd like to hear something specific about my experience, ask away.  It was more than plenty for us for all years (they even used high school).  if it helps to understand that, when "school" was done to ability, then that was ok with me if they pursued other interests (academic or not).  My oldest still did well in college humanities courses. but she is a super genius person (seriously.. as in gifted) so anything we used would have been fine, right?  Middle gal is average and hard worker.

I will say back in our time MFW was not yet suggested WWS, so we did writing strands and they still learned to write. ;)

oldest did mfw from her second grade year (before Adventures was written), so her jr. high 7th grade was ECC, and 8th grade was CTG. followed by ahl in 9th and so on

middle: mfw from preschool (the old version) until graduation in a few months.  Her jr. high years were exp1850 and 1850MOD.

youngest has too many delays and special needs so mfw stopped working.

not sure what you want to know.  I know it doesn't work for everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...

We've used MFW for several years.

My oldest is in 10th grade and homeschooled using MFW from 2nd until 8th grade and then went into public high school. He's a smart kid so I've never doubted our homeschooling, but the only subject I wasn't sure how he did with was writing. Using Writing Strands and then Writing with Skill, along with the MFW required narrations, definitely made him a strong writer (at least compared to students in his school and our state). Like I said, he's a smart kid, and also very motivated, and after MFW recommendations, is a top ten student in his grade with all As for the past 1 1/2 years. 

My current 7th grader is also using MFW for middle school, although we are trying IEW writing this year, and he uses TT math for Algebra 1. He also learns easily, but isn't very motivated, although he surprises me with how much he retains.

I think using MFW from the beginning with my kids helped me to ease into adjusting the expected workload for each child.

I'm not sure what information you're looking for exactly, but I hope this has helped a bit.