Menu

Drawn into the Heart of Reading question

love2read

Does the teacher's guide give enough of a lead that the parent can use their own graphic organizers? I'm trying to stay on budget, but really want to give this program a whirl with two children. I have a package of about 25 different organizers that I bought at a teacher's garage sale years ago and have been using that for literature.

I actually just started using DITHOR within the last week or so... so I do not know what post you referred to that stated that I was using it...

However, in answer to your question:

the student workbook and the teacher's guide are designed to "work as a team " together. The program is incomplete without either of those two parts.

It is a great program. My eight year old is so - loving it! I was totally taken aback by his enthusiasm. He chose mystery for his genre and is bummed that we don't do reading every day.

I give it two thumbs way up!

:thumbup:

In my opinion, it is definitely worth investing in... if you are looking for a reading program that you can use with any book you choose and want to develop a biblical lense to analyze literature.

HTH,

Rebecca

In case I wasn't clear: you really can't use graphic organizers to support the teacher's text. There are written directions in the student books written directly to the student- along with important information and resources in the back of the student books. The student books ARE reproducible within a family, though.

HTH,

Rebecca

I agree with Rebecca. If you can swing it, get both. :)

I got the student book for my 5th grader but not my 3rd, thinking I could do it on my own for him. I regret that decision.

Graphic organizers alone really wouldn't help.

But, I really do love the program! It's saved my children from endless reading of historical fiction, nonfiction, and biographies! We've loved the adventure and mystery genres, and are looking forward to fantasy next!

:) Linda