Menu

MM? Between R&S 6 and prealgebra

3girls4me

Hi ladies

I need some advice for our math track. We have used a combo of really traditional math for my oldest daughter. We had a very unsuccessful round of Singapore. She tests very well and seems to be "getting" math, but I wouldn't call her a math person at all or say that she thinks mathematically. We are finishing up R&S 6 now. Probably another few months. We are planning to do Derek Owens for prealgebra in 7th grade. My initial plan was to do as much of the R&S 7th grade book as possible the rest of this year. But I'm wondering if maybe I should just pick and choose parts of math mammoth sixth grade instead? Don't people often go from MM6 to prealgebra? If so, do you think it would be advantageous to use that instead of R&S so that she gets a different type of math to help solidify what she already knows? Or would that just confuse her?

Thanks for any input.

I don't have any advice regarding MM, but I just wanted to say that my daughter went straight from R&S 6 to pre-algebra. She is taking an online class that uses the Lial text and is having a great year!

Thanks! Which online class is she taking if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing we don't really HAVE to have an in between, but since we will have 3-4 months, I thought extra practice would be nothing but helpful :)

Hi ladies

I need some advice for our math track. We have used a combo of really traditional math for my oldest daughter. We had a very unsuccessful round of Singapore. She tests very well and seems to be "getting" math, but I wouldn't call her a math person at all or say that she thinks mathematically. We are finishing up R&S 6 now. Probably another few months. We are planning to do Derek Owens for prealgebra in 7th grade. My initial plan was to do as much of the R&S 7th grade book as possible the rest of this year. But I'm wondering if maybe I should just pick and choose parts of math mammoth sixth grade instead? Don't people often go from MM6 to prealgebra? If so, do you think it would be advantageous to use that instead of R&S so that she gets a different type of math to help solidify what she already knows? Or would that just confuse her?

Thanks for any input.

I don't see any reason not to stay with R&S until algebra. I think the consistency is valuable.