Menu

Children's dictionary

Earthmerlin

I just got the Scholastic Children's Dictionary at a library sale for 50¢ (thrilling!). I'm impressed with it - the entries are clear and there are enough pictures to be appealing to young kids.

ETA: there is a basic pronunciation key after most words and it shows part of speech

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 1

I like the MacMillan one. It's actually the one I had as a kid too - just way updated. I think it's the most browsing friendly for younger kids but also has things like pronunciation and parts of speech. It doesn't have word roots, which I always thought was too bad - it might have been nice to include it just for some words that have a more obvious connection. But overall, a good one for early elementary and dictionary games and so forth. It's inviting because it has a lot of pictures.

When my kids outgrew it, we moved to a "real" dictionary.

My goals for a beginner dictionary are very different than yours. I use the Merriam-Webster Concise Large Print Dictionary. It doesn't include much more than a concise definition and prononunciation.

When I'm asked what a word means or how to pronounce it, I like to say, "look it up!" and know a beginning student can indeed do that. Once they can use the Large Print dictionary it is easy later on to transition to the Merriam-Webster Collegiate.

We really like our Merriam-Webster, but order one level higher than kids' age.  We have the Intermediate, which is listed as for Grades 6-8, and we got at the beginning of 4th grade and it is perfect.  There are NOT a lot of pictures, though, maybe 2ish per 2 page spread.