Menu

Two way radio / Walkie talkie recommendations

meena

Someone gave my kids a set of walkie talkies as a gift years ago. They were cheapies so didn't work well at all and we assumed our kids were done with them, so when we were cleaning out toys awhile back one got thrown out. The big problem is that my son found the leftover one, not knowing that the other one is gone, and really wants to use them. All that to say I'd like to buy him a better set for Christmas. I would ideally like to spend less than $20, have decent range, and good clarity. Is this possible? Recommendations on brands, models, where to buy, etc? 

Midland brand. This is a very reputable radio company. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Midland-LXT500VP3-22-Channel-24-Mile-Range/dp/B007B5ZPGG/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479929458&sr=1-8&keywords=walkie+talkies

^^^^These are what my DS12 has. We tried some of the "for kids" radios, and they are really useless except maybe to talk from a top to bottom bunk IME. Watch for them on sale. I think I paid about $24. Plus they are rechargeable, so you save $$ on AAs.

• Like 1

Midland brand. This is a very reputable radio company. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Midland-LXT500VP3-22-Channel-24-Mile-Range/dp/B007B5ZPGG/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479929458&sr=1-8&keywords=walkie+talkies

^^^^These are what my DS12 has. We tried some of the "for kids" radios, and they are really useless except maybe to talk from a top to bottom bunk IME. Watch for them on sale. I think I paid about $24. Plus they are rechargeable, so you save $$ on AAs.

Love the idea of rechargeability! Thank you for the suggestion.