Menu

Great Books - List Separately?

I'm finished with the transcript.  I like it with one exception: there are only 26.5 credits listed, with 2 of them being P.E.  

We decided not to include any of her music lessons, music theory, MTAC adjudication, etc, in her transcript because we will list it in the activities section.  I felt this was more in line with what many non-homeschoolers do if they are taking private music lessons and participating in MTAC.

Her course load of the classes other than P.E. is heavy, with 11 AP classes.  However, I feel uncomfortable with the 24.5 credits of "real" subjects when so many public schools are doing block scheduling and getting 28-32 credits.

There is one area that I shorted her.  During both 9th and 10th grade, she did Year 1 and Year 2 of a Great Books online class. She did this in addition to her regular grammar and composition coursework that I taught.  I thought it would be more straightforward to list them together so I entitled each year "English Language and Great Books" and gave the I or II afterward.  For those unfamiliar with the Great Books courses, the reading is heavy, heavy, heavy, plus there were four papers due per year.  

So... my question is, of course, should I change this and list 6 Language Arts courses instead of 4?  I don't want it to look like I'm padding the transcript, but, truly, there was way more work there than 4 units.

• 8 months later...

I'm finished with the transcript.  I like it with one exception: there are only 26.5 credits listed, with 2 of them being P.E.  

We decided not to include any of her music lessons, music theory, MTAC adjudication, etc, in her transcript because we will list it in the activities section.  I felt this was more in line with what many non-homeschoolers do if they are taking private music lessons and participating in MTAC.

Her course load of the classes other than P.E. is heavy, with 11 AP classes.  However, I feel uncomfortable with the 24.5 credits of "real" subjects when so many public schools are doing block scheduling and getting 28-32 credits.

There is one area that I shorted her.  During both 9th and 10th grade, she did Year 1 and Year 2 of a Great Books online class. She did this in addition to her regular grammar and composition coursework that I taught.  I thought it would be more straightforward to list them together so I entitled each year "English Language and Great Books" and gave the I or II afterward.  For those unfamiliar with the Great Books courses, the reading is heavy, heavy, heavy, plus there were four papers due per year.  

So... my question is, of course, should I change this and list 6 Language Arts courses instead of 4?  I don't want it to look like I'm padding the transcript, but, truly, there was way more work there than 4 units.

Sounds like your daughter took what my daughter did. My question is--did you give it an honors designation?  I can't figure out if it is honors worthy and that does matter for scholarship consideration for us.