Menu

Galore Park History

visitor

• 4 months later...

My DD did History for Common Entrance (all three books) as a Spine in 6th grade. We decided to spend middle school getting a wider worldview, and by using non-US curricula, that gave her a different perspective. She quite enjoyed Galore Park-there was a humor to it, and especially liked the wide time frame covered in British history. I didn't have her do all the revision assignments since it was very obviously focused on the exams British kids take.

• Like 1

Which age group is it for? Are you specifically looking for something that covers British history?

I can't recommend Galore Park History as both the Junior English and Latin were a big flop for DS, so I've avoided GP every since. We love Oxford University Press's KS3 History series by Aaron Wilkes however. They are aimed at 11-14 year olds, so roughly Gr6-8 I think. Before that we used CGP's KS2 History books. Both series run chronologically although neither fit neatly into the WTM 4-year cycle.

• Like 1

Which age group is it for? Are you specifically looking for something that covers British history?

I can't recommend Galore Park History as both the Junior English and Latin were a big flop for DS, so I've avoided GP every since. We love Oxford University Press's KS3 History series by Aaron Wilkes however. They are aimed at 11-14 year olds, so roughly Gr6-8 I think. Before that we used CGP's KS2 History books. Both series run chronologically although neither fit neatly into the WTM 4-year cycle.

Would you mind sharing what those acronyms are please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course- KS2, KS3 stands for Key Stage 2/3. These are the different stage of education in English state school system. Each Key stage covers several school years and for many subjects, under the current National Curriculum, the set topics do not have to be covered in a specific year but should have been taught at some point during the relevant Key Stage. E.g The Roman Invasion of Britain does not have to be taught to pupils in Year 4, but must have been at some point between Years 3-6 (Key Stage 2).

As for CGP, I actually have no idea what that stands for, just that it is the name of a company that publishes educational books and study guides in UK. I've just looked inside the covers of some I own and it doesn't say there what CGP stands for either- I'm guessing C(something or)G(someone?)Press/Publishing.

* Edited to add that I've just googled it and CGP stands for Co-ordination Group Publications.

Edited by Squirkle